Recommended Shaving soap for use with SS Razors

An interesting ask gentlemen, so let me explain the reason.....

So most of you will know that I love using my vintage Gillette's, (a past member of TSR named Petter suggested ”giving the vintage a bash“ ...... and got me hooked on them vintage toffee hammers, a King Kong sized monkey on my back for sure) however I do use some modern Stainless Steel razors and enjoy the shaving experience of them but...... now for the lurking and unknowing folks them vintage Gillette's be for the most part electroplated with nickel, gold, and in the case of my 1947 Aristocrat....Rhodium a bat shit crazy priced razor for the well to do. That razor honers the memory of my mother that I sadly lost last year to cancer, as that was her birth year. So with these old razors I get a slippery comfortable shave and my usual shaving soap is Cella but I was pondering the use of a different soap just for the use with the SS razors since they are generally not electroplated and lack that slippy vibe that I'm used to...

Thoughts Gentleman.

Kind and grateful

John

So most of you will know that I love using my vintage Gillette's, (a past member of TSR named Petter suggested ”giving the vintage a bash“ ...... and got me hooked on them vintage toffee hammers, a King Kong sized monkey on my back for sure) however I do use some modern Stainless Steel razors and enjoy the shaving experience of them but...... now for the lurking and unknowing folks them vintage Gillette's be for the most part electroplated with nickel, gold, and in the case of my 1947 Aristocrat....Rhodium a bat shit crazy priced razor for the well to do. That razor honers the memory of my mother that I sadly lost last year to cancer, as that was her birth year. So with these old razors I get a slippery comfortable shave and my usual shaving soap is Cella but I was pondering the use of a different soap just for the use with the SS razors since they are generally not electroplated and lack that slippy vibe that I'm used to...

Thoughts Gentleman.

Kind and grateful

John
Proraso single blade shaving cream

Thoughts Gentleman.

Kind and grateful

John

Any slick soap would do, less creamy than for DE or SE works very well for me. Stirling, Dr Harris, The Boddy Shop cream is excellent for SR shaving. There are others.

Last edited:
Well I've just ordered some Saponificio Varesino Mirto di Sardegna Beta 4.3 Shaving Soap and give that a bash, I can see from looking at the vast array of shaving Soap's I'm in for yet another King Kong sized gorilla going for a lodging on my back o_O great:ROFLMAO::LOL:

You're going to try to get the same silky smooth feeling from a modern razor that you get from vintage???

iu

giphy-3.gif

737760.gif

You're going to try to get the same silky smooth feeling from a modern razor that you get from vintage???

iu

giphy-3.gif

737760.gif
That's never going to happen, but I'm simply looking for a better shaving soap for use with my SS Razors hence the title Recommended Shaving soap for use with SS Razors.

Other than one brass razor I don't use anything else other than SS and tend to not get too fussed over which is better for this material. But if you want I think is the best all round soap then I wouldn't look much further than Martin De Candre. Ain't cheap but it is incredibly economical in the long run. The rose is a killer. For sheer value and results then just about anything by Signature Soaps will see you through nicely.

Back
Top Bottom