Recommendations for a newish daily shaver…..

jimmyc

Supporter
Supporter
I like Astra SP a lot. Voskhod are good too but if I had to choose then Astra ftw. My desert island razor would be my ball end Tech just because it cost next to nothing, shaves brilliantly and very mild, and is a classic. I love my straights and my Slim slightly more, but suppose I went backpacking I know what I'd take for simple reliable shaves.
Well I have the same choice as you, fat handled flat bottom tech with astra sp is perfect.
Also slim at 5 with sp is brilliant as well.
But tech with sp, perfect pairing. (y)

Word.
There's a chasm between 'need' and 'want'. Fantastic shaves can be had at entry level, everything else is just indulgence of the hobby.

Did I mention I have a puck of Tuscan Oud and a bottle of Gothic Revival splash incoming? No, thought not. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

jimmyc

Supporter
Supporter
Word.
There's a chasm between 'need' and 'want'. Fantastic shaves can be had at entry level, everything else is just indulgence of the hobby.

Did I mention I have a puck of Tuscan Oud and a bottle of Gothic Revival splash incoming? No, thought not. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
Yea I use a £5 razor and splash a £50 aftershave on my chin after using a £30 shave cream. That was me in the beginning of shaving. Now the perfect shave is tech razor, Palmolive soap or cream and Brut or old spice. Perfect. Ps I'm 58 so that's what I grew up with.:)

Same but a couple of years younger. So which one of the Spice Girls are you again? Old Spice?!

I need to revisit Brut. Somehow I cannot get the image of Henry Cooper out of my head, or of my old man with his plastic bottle of Brut 33. It's an itch I may have to scratch but I don't really remember liking Brut 33 back in the day. Maybe that was the cheap one? Still had to be better than Hai Karate!

OP
F
Hi all,

Little update. Today was the first DE wet shave of my life! And.....it was ok! Not too bad for a first go I think.

Out the shower, on with the Cube pre-shave whilst I made up the lather (Body Shop Maca Root) in my bowl and loaded an Astra SP into the EJ.

I did 2 WTG and 1 XTG passes. The first WTG pass was terrible, as I was in and out of the right angle for different parts of my face and I think my lather was too stiff and dry. I noticed that between the blade and the base plate the lather/hair mix was being quite stubborn to rinse away. Second WTG pass I added a little drop more water to the bowl and the lather was much better and I concentrated on getting a consistent angle and blade contact with the skin. And the razor cleaned off much easier.
Similar story to my XTG pass to finish off.

Result I would say is similar to the final result I get with my Braun Series 9. But with much less irritation! This will hopefully get better as my technique improves and I get more consistent. There are a couple of patches that could be closer but I get that with the electric anyway. I think these happened where I lost my angle and just scraped off the lather.

Got 2 nicks. One was where I've had an ingrown hair lately so it was raised already and the other was me just catching the edge of my mole so to be honest I'm quite happy with that for a first go. Especially as that was with 5 days stubble growth.

I didn't want to push it any further today. Want to let the skin recover for 48 hours before I give it another go. I'm hoping that a combination of my skin have less bumps/ingrown from using the electric and my technique improving will give me a much closer, smoother WTG and XTG shave. Once I feel confident, I'll give a ATG pass a go to really try and get BBS.

CjH

Hi all,

Little update. Today was the first DE wet shave of my life! And.....it was ok! Not too bad for a first go I think.

Out the shower, on with the Cube pre-shave whilst I made up the lather (Body Shop Maca Root) in my bowl and loaded an Astra SP into the EJ.

I did 2 WTG and 1 XTG passes. The first WTG pass was terrible, as I was in and out of the right angle for different parts of my face and I think my lather was too stiff and dry. I noticed that between the blade and the base plate the lather/hair mix was being quite stubborn to rinse away. Second WTG pass I added a little drop more water to the bowl and the lather was much better and I concentrated on getting a consistent angle and blade contact with the skin. And the razor cleaned off much easier.
Similar story to my XTG pass to finish off.

Result I would say is similar to the final result I get with my Braun Series 9. But with much less irritation! This will hopefully get better as my technique improves and I get more consistent. There are a couple of patches that could be closer but I get that with the electric anyway. I think these happened where I lost my angle and just scraped off the lather.

Got 2 nicks. One was where I've had an ingrown hair lately so it was raised already and the other was me just catching the edge of my mole so to be honest I'm quite happy with that for a first go. Especially as that was with 5 days stubble growth.

I didn't want to push it any further today. Want to let the skin recover for 48 hours before I give it another go. I'm hoping that a combination of my skin have less bumps/ingrown from using the electric and my technique improving will give me a much closer, smoother WTG and XTG shave. Once I feel confident, I'll give a ATG pass a go to really try and get BBS.
Well done Sir...
Yep it definitely gets better with practice.
When I first started with a DE coming from electric. I watched a fair few videos on YouTube about lather and follow the rule that it needs to have a sheen like whipped egg-white. (Not a help if you have never whipped up egg whites I know) Then you know you have a decent hydration level in the lather.

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
Try Executive Shaving on youtube Brian has a short instruction video.
it’s worth a watch if your unsure.
But well done on giving it a go.
My first few shaves had me looking like the Elephant Man
mind you some people would say i always look that way

OP
F
2nd shave today. For some reason, didn't feel like it went as well as the first. Same prep as the first. This time I decided to start on my very sensitive neck area, where my hair grows sideways out from my adams apple. This is probably about a shaver width that grows that way, with the rest of the hair on my neck growing down. Went WTG and then moved onto the rest of my face like normal but my neck seems a lot more irritated and red post shave. Everywhere else is fine. My neck was one of the main trouble areas when I was using my electric and the main site of my bumps and ingrowns.

So I think I'm going to have to take a bit more care on the neck. I've just ordered some bump stopper to see if that helps but I think I'll give a cold water shave a go next time.

2nd shave today. For some reason, didn't feel like it went as well as the first. Same prep as the first. This time I decided to start on my very sensitive neck area, where my hair grows sideways out from my adams apple. This is probably about a shaver width that grows that way, with the rest of the hair on my neck growing down. Went WTG and then moved onto the rest of my face like normal but my neck seems a lot more irritated and red post shave. Everywhere else is fine. My neck was one of the main trouble areas when I was using my electric and the main site of my bumps and ingrowns.

So I think I'm going to have to take a bit more care on the neck. I've just ordered some bump stopper to see if that helps but I think I'll give a cold water shave a go next time.

I am a relatively new DE shaver of around 8 mths and 150 shaves. This is what worked for me.

Hold the razor with a very light grip.
A tight grip will lead to applying too much pressure and restrict the fine adjustments needed when following the contours of your face.

Apply only enough pressure to hold the razor against the skin.
This is probably THE most important technique to master, try to focus at all times on minimum pressure of blade to skin.

Do not make multiple strokes over the skin between latherings.
Try to use only two consecutive stokes for each blade width of skin between latherings.

Restrict yourself to 2/3 latherings (passes) and don't be tempted to do any "touch ups" for the next 5 shaves. Allow at least 30 mins after your shave before you assess the quality of it.

I believe following the above will give you comfortables shaves. You can adjust your technique later to achieve the closeness you desire.

Light grip and minimum pressure! :)

Gairdner

Supporter
Supporter
Can't go wrong with EJ DE89, loads of us have had it as first razor and still use it now and again.
If it's the only razor you buy it's a perfect choice. Bucking the trend to buy loads of different razors to get the best shave, the de 89 is fine if not perfect as it does the job well, paired with an astra sp blade. Spot on. (y)

Edit: ment to quote fridge 03 but i am a useless internet user. (Could have said twat) :ROFLMAO:
I can quote, I can quote, oh feck aye I can quote. Apologies, Matron spilled the good meds earlier and we had a scramble. Guess who won?

@jimmyc has it spot on. If you get on well with the EJDE89, you might just never need another razor. Ever. However that’s not to say you won’t want 63 different vintage Gillettes in a variety of plating options and configurations complete with age appropriate case and original shipper. Or 37 of the latest shiny, satin, bead-blasted (poor beads, what the hell did they ever do to anyone) stainless-titanium-bronze space age whisker whacking wackadoodles.

Nope, the 89 is just fine, in fact it’s quite sublime, and boy does it shine, this 89 of mine. @Mike Smart has ordered a maroon handle one (yes, you can get ‘em!) so he can show his true colours.

MATRON! Where’s she gone now? I need this damn catheter out sharpish…honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace!

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
I can quote, I can quote, oh feck aye I can quote. Apologies, Matron spilled the good meds earlier and we had a scramble. Guess who won?

@jimmyc has it spot on. If you get on well with the EJDE89, you might just never need another razor. Ever. However that’s not to say you won’t want 63 different vintage Gillettes in a variety of plating options and configurations complete with age appropriate case and original shipper. Or 37 of the latest shiny, satin, bead-blasted (poor beads, what the hell did they ever do to anyone) stainless-titanium-bronze space age whisker whacking wackadoodles.

Nope, the 89 is just fine, in fact it’s quite sublime, and boy does it shine, this 89 of mine. @Mike Smart has ordered a maroon handle one (yes, you can get ‘em!) so he can show his true colours.

MATRON! Where’s she gone now? I need this damn catheter out sharpish…honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace!
hahahaah your mental :ROFLMAO:
I would just like the world to know Mike Smart has absolutely nothing maroon in his house never mind a maroon handle
That just ain’t happening
EVER

i’m not senile yet

Top Bottom