Reassembly of an Aristocrat #16

Hello gents, I found this in the wild, replated with nickel. But I'm having difficulty in reassembling it. Any hints are appreciated.

c57a409f3828c9b26dcd8f097dcb6433.jpg

I've never taken one to bits, so I can't help first-hand.
After you've had a scout round this forum, it might pay to do a bit of googling, as it's pretty certain that somewhere there'll be a shaving forum entry or Youtube on this subject.
Best I can come up with quickly is this, where the drawing may make sense.
http://www.razorarchive.com/the-history-and-evolution-of-the-us-gillette-aristocrat
Out of interest, I'm assuming that you found it in bits, rather than taking it apart yourself. If the former, then at first glance, it looks a bit short on parts.

Thank you for the replies, I found it in bits. The problem in reassembly is that the knob is reverse threaded, when you thread in the knob it pushes the doors up, if you fully thread the knob, the doors leave the baseplate. I will try to add a couple of images.

Check the knob's position in each image.

e49a0e685a4dc35ff1b743e44506ce3c.jpg

63daa641a878f96ed195a284747b4400.jpg

cbad657aeb9f6cbfb66618185b507d9b.jpg

Last edited:
The TTO position in picture 2 is where it wants to be with the silo doors closed,the fully open position,would still leave a tiny gap between the TTO,and handle.
It is just a case of fiddling around to get the handle into position.I think it would be a case of screwing the TTO until it is tight against the handle,with the centre bar removed,then take the silo doors off,then whilst holding the TTO,screw the centre bar in as far as you can,then align it up so it fits into the grooves on the baseplate,then turn the TTO to take it down enough to put the silo doors back on in their original position.Should work....But then again....Maybe not...

Last edited:
I can locate them with the silo doors as you recommend but It is not like the original.Still there is a tiny bit of gap. I wonder how Gillette assembled them after production :)

I think,the stripped threads might be the problem,they would probably have stopped it opening too wide...I would really need to see it to solve it!.
I have a 66 Executive,but the only problem with that is,the Rhodium plating has come out from the knurling in some places,so it really doesn't warrant a total strip down.

Back
Top Bottom