Razorock SLOC vs Yaqi Mellon

I have the zinc alloy Yaqi Mellon, which is find to give a decent mild shave. However, Razorock also do the SLOC, and I was wondering if anyone has compared the two? Is the SLOC worth getting if you have the Mellon? If not, does the new stainless steel Yaqi Mellon outflank them both? And is it worth the extra investment, being significantly higher in price than both of them? Would be interested to hear of people’s experience with these razors. Thanks.

I can't help with a comparison of these razors, but I do have the stainless Phoenix SLOC. It's a mild razor which shaves well, but, to be brutally honest, the "self lubricating" feature is a bit of a gimmick these days. I think that the original designs, whilst based on a good concept, were also intended to produce a marketable product, distinct from Gillette and other patents of the day.

I have experimented with it, but unless I rinse off between lathers, most good soaps will leave enough slickness after one pass for any razor to work without skinning me. This is most evident when any last-minute touch ups are required. That said, they're interesting razors.

I have the zinc alloy Yaqi Mellon, which is find to give a decent mild shave. However, Razorock also do the SLOC, and I was wondering if anyone has compared the two? Is the SLOC worth getting if you have the Mellon? If not, does the new stainless steel Yaqi Mellon outflank them both? And is it worth the extra investment, being significantly higher in price than both of them? Would be interested to hear of people’s experience with these razors. Thanks.

The Yaqi Mellon and the SLOC (non stainless) are the same razor, both produced by YAQI. I find the standard zamac Mellon/SLOC a superb shaver, being a smooth and comfortable performer with minimum blade chatter. It also looks great to my eyes; a steal when purchased from Yaqi. I do not have the SS version of the SLOC but it has had plenty of reviews.

Last edited:
Like @Missoni said, I'm also pretty sure both zamak heads are the same thing.
There was, for a time, RazoRock SLOC 2.0, which was basically a PAA Ascension copy (to the point where I could swap the top caps and they fit like a glove), but they discontinued that one, while the Ascension keeps being sold... when avaiable.

The stainless steel Yaqi Mellon, however, is a different thing and more aggressive - it doesn't clamp the blade as close to the cutting edge and it has more blade exposure. That said, is isn't particularly aggressive, just more so that the zamak version.

However, I'd take the PAA Ascension over any of the Mellons, as, to me, it feels as smooth and comfortable as a Henson Al13, but is as efficient as the steel Mellon, if not more so.

The Yaqi Mellon and the SLOC (non stainless) are the same razor, both produced by YAQI. I find the standard zamac Mellon/SLOC a superb shaver, being a smooth and comfortable performer with minimum blade chatter. It also looks great to my eyes; a steal when purchased from Yaqi. I do not have the SS version of the SLOC but it has had plenty of reviews.
I hadn’t realised they were exactly the same! Completely agree about the performance and looks. Was lucky to get one direct pre Brexit so didn’t get the extra 20% slapped on. Still a steal though, even now.

Like @Missoni said, I'm also pretty sure both zamak heads are the same thing.
There was, for a time, RazoRock SLOC 2.0, which was basically a PAA Ascension copy (to the point where I could swap the top caps and they fit like a glove), but they discontinued that one, while the Ascension keeps being sold... when avaiable.

The stainless steel Yaqi Mellon, however, is a different thing and more aggressive - it doesn't clamp the blade as close to the cutting edge and it has more blade exposure. That said, is isn't particularly aggressive, just more so that the zamak version.

However, I'd take the PAA Ascension over any of the Mellons, as, to me, it feels as smooth and comfortable as a Henson Al13, but is as efficient as the steel Mellon, if not more so.
I’ll have to check out the PAA Ascension. I’ll wait until the have the classic version in though, as they only have the gunmetal in at the moment. I notice the Ascension is now an adjustable, which is interesting, though I’m not a massive fan of adjustable razors.

I’ll have to check out the PAA Ascension. I’ll wait until the have the classic version in though, as they only have the gunmetal in at the moment. I notice the Ascension is now an adjustable, which is interesting, though I’m not a massive fan of adjustable razors.
It's really an "adjustable" - it's just a three piece razor that bends the blade quite a lot, so you can loosen the handle by a quarter turn to get a bit more blade exposure while losing a bit of smoothness.

It's really an "adjustable" - it's just a three piece razor that bends the blade quite a lot, so you can loosen the handle by a quarter turn to get a bit more blade exposure while losing a bit of smoothness.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I was looking at it and trying to work out how it was adjusted! And thanks too, by the way for the comparison of the various different DOCs, found that really helpful.

Looking at the PAA website, the "in stock" nickel and gunmetal Ascension versions have a "zinc alloy" head (zamak, I presume). Then there's the copper version, the aluminium and finally the stainless. The copper is quite expensive, but the price difference between the aluminium and stainless isn't enormous.

Most regrettably, and unlike the current stainless, my bomb tip handle is one-piece and not with a removable tip. If that were not so, I'd be after one of the coloured tips on offer. Perhaps get one, and a handle as well? A pity that there's no-one selling them in the UK, that I know of.

As to the adjustability, I have experimented with loosening off the handle once, but it's not something I would do as a matter of course.

@Ferrum I'd suggest going for the stainless one, as the teeth are pretty long and fine. That or keeping the razor head protected.
Thanks. I've actually got the stainless version, and, inspired by this thread, have been using it for the last three days with a Personna Lab Prep. It's a very efficient yet smooth razor. I hanker after one of those handles with the exchangeable coloured bomb tips, though.

The razor comes with a black plastic or rubber washer between the handle and baseplate, and I think this is the key component which allows the "adjustability". Without it, slackening off the handle a quarter turn would just loosen the handle without any resistance, and it would unwind of its own accord in normal use.

Thanks. I've actually got the stainless version, and, inspired by this thread, have been using it for the last three days with a Personna Lab Prep. It's a very efficient yet smooth razor. I hanker after one of those handles with the exchangeable coloured bomb tips, though.

The razor comes with a black plastic or rubber washer between the handle and baseplate, and I think this is the key component which allows the "adjustability". Without it, slackening off the handle a quarter turn would just loosen the handle without any resistance, and it would unwind of its own accord in normal use.
You could always get the handle on its own:
Or the flare tip handle:

No harm in having a spare handle.

Back
Top Bottom