Razor worth my time restoring

Hi , is this razor worth saving and can anybody tell me who the maker is cant make it out.
It did have celluloid scales but they where broken , the blade is a wedge shape,

20130411_143330_zps0f8aa43b.jpg

20130411_143237_zps2ebbd3f3.jpg

20130411_143251_zpsa5a7f334.jpg

20130411_143229_zps542385b5.jpg

20130411_143309_zps0051f63c.jpg

Absolutely worth restoring, and being wedge you can give it a bit more welly if need be when machine buffing or hand sanding the blade which ever method you choose, a bit more difficult to hone a wedge but just looking at the photo the blade looks quite decent.

Jamie

Lose the beard said:
Hi

Have a look at this link, it should help you.

http://straightrazorplace.com/workshop/87249-joseph-allen-sons-rescue-dating-assistance.html

That is exactly what mine looked like , just realized the thread title was is it worth my time restoring , i would not know where to start so was going to find someone else with more experience to do the dirty work.
Could anyone tell me cost wise how much it would be to get this looking like newish.

just read all of that thread and didnt realise it was cow horn , in parts the handle was very see thru did not know you could do that with horn and made between 1887-1891

Could the maker be Joseph Rogers?

Either way, it's certainly worth a go at restoring as there is no noticeable hone wear on the spine or pitting and the edge looks in decent order as well.

Do you still have the original scales and wedge as it would be nice to use the same design?

If you want drop me a pm and we can talk about making some new scales etc.

Rob

It's a Joseph Allen & Sons, Rob - Lose The Beard got there first!

No 'England' on the stamp, so no later than 1891 when the McKinley Tariff Act became law (although it only affected items made after the Act was passed - ie post 1891). Apart from that, the company moved to the Eccleshall Works in 1891.

The earliest date for the razor is hard to give, as I can find no hard facts regarding when the Oak Works in New Edward Street were acquired. It is known that he was in the Oak Works 'by the late 1880s' but not precisely when.

He is recorded as a 'razor back forger' residing in Rockingham Street in 1871, as a 'razor manufacturer employing ten men' residing in Solly Street in 1881 and as a 'cutlery manufacturer' residing in Crooksmoor Road in 1891. He died in 1893.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom