Razor maintenance

I always disassemble my razors after each shave and clean and dry them.
Should the screw parts internal and external be oiled occasionally?
Im assuming they should be and if so would a light mineral oil be ok.
Its the TTO razors and my 38C in particular as Ive no idea what's happening inside the handle with those and i've never oiled them.
regards, beejay
I didnt search this :oops: so apologies if this has been covered a zillion times.

How about a good old soak in 'Barbicide'. It can't be lubricating,especially if used diluted,but it's been around for years and probably does the job.
I'd try a few drops of Camelia oil in the 'works' of a DE.

I've got all this stuff. Have I tried them on my DE razors? - Not yet! :roll:

An ultrasonic cleaner is probably the best way of getting into the internal workings of a tto. I use Wahl clipper oil for lubricating the mechanism but any mineral oil should be ok.

The 38C (or any 2 piece Merkur) can be disassembled by pulling down on the knob at the bottom of the handle. It is held in by a simple spring clip/collar.

Thanks gents,

I dont have barbicide but ive got mineral and Camelia oil so I'll try a drop of that.
The TTO's are quite old but still seem to open freely enough and I do use them regularly so I'm hoping there's not a lot of rubbish inside and that the oil will keep them clean.

I didnt know that the 38C came apart like so thanks for the tip.
Do Gillette TTO's come apart like that?

regards, beejay

beejay said:
I didnt know that the 38C came apart like so thanks for the tip.
Do Gillette TTO's come apart like that?

regards, beejay

A tto is much more difficult to take apart and not recommended, go for an ultrasonic instead, they are worth it if you have a lot of razors and other things to clean.

The Merkurs are a lot simpler. However I prefer the 3 piece design over the 2 piece, even simpler to clean and you can swap heads with razors like the Jagger and the Tech.

I don't clean my razors after every shave , but any razor im using generally gets a blast in the ultrasonic, followed by a short soak in baby oil then a polish.. pretty much once a month.
Honestly they don't necessarily need it, but keeps em tip top.

It all depends with me. I either use some 3 in 1 oil(or Finish Line Wet), or copper grease.
Copper grease is good, i know that it wont seize up. Also stops disc brake squeal, so im sure its good for the old razor, just the treads on any one you can take apart.

Keeps them smooth.
After you have washed them you can also use WD40. Its alight lubricant and also displaces water, and should give your razors a good shine!

Please dont follow this advice!

Thanks guys for the other replies, really appreciated.
A number of options to have a go at.
regards, beejay

1gear said:
It all depends with me. I either use some 3 in 1 oil(or Finish Line Wet), or copper grease.
Copper grease is good, i know that it wont seize up. Also stops disc brake squeal, so im sure its good for the old razor, just the treads on any one you can take apart.

Keeps them smooth.
After you have washed them you can also use WD40. Its alight lubricant and also displaces water, and should give your razors a good shine!

Please dont follow this advice!

I bet that copper grease would also make a half decent shave cream :lol:

Barbicide you can pick up in any Sally's shop, it is not worth rushing out to buy some right now but handy to have when you intend to shave with something you got from eBay or charity shop, so I would suggest you pick some up next time you are passing. Some guys boil them as an alternative but I prefer Barbicide.

Maintenance wise I don't clean then every time, every razor gets three uses with a blade then I change to a new razor and blade. The 3 pieces get get a quick run under the sink with a quirt some simple green (simple green is a degreaser, but any cleaner not too strong will do, even some liquid handsoap or shampoo) and then I rub lightly with a cloth, this is enough to get rid of the light soap scum from a fe days use. I then dry them and use a Microfibre cloth to shine then up for next rotation. Now and again I get a non abreasive metal polish out and give them a good shine but not often.

The one piece TTO again I do the same as above but about once every six months they get a blast in the Ultrasonic followed by a scrub with a toothbrush and polish and then I drip some Sterol (Merkur oil for straights and DE's) but any light mineral oil will do the same job. Clipper oil is just as good and cheaper.

Audiolab said:
Barbicide you can pick up in any Sally's shop, it is not worth rushing out to buy some right now but handy to have when you intend to shave with something you got from eBay or charity shop, so I would suggest you pick some up next time you are passing. Some guys boil them as an alternative but I prefer Barbicide.

Maintenance wise I don't clean then every time, every razor gets three uses with a blade then I change to a new razor and blade. The 3 pieces get get a quick run under the sink with a quirt some simple green (simple green is a degreaser, but any cleaner not too strong will do, even some liquid handsoap or shampoo) and then I rub lightly with a cloth, this is enough to get rid of the light soap scum from a fe days use. I then dry them and use a Microfibre cloth to shine then up for next rotation. Now and again I get a non abreasive metal polish out and give them a good shine but not often.

The one piece TTO again I do the same as above but about once every six months they get a blast in the Ultrasonic followed by a scrub with a toothbrush and polish and then I drip some Sterol (Merkur oil for straights and DE's) but any light mineral oil will do the same job. Clipper oil is just as good and cheaper.

Very helpful. thanks very much.
Regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom