Razor Date.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question from a newbie, but since joining this forum I have been bitten by the razor bug and bought a couple of cheapies. :p
The first is a Ball End Tech which is marked Gillette & Made in England, but has no date code.I have discovered that the USA made Gillettes had no date code from 1930 - 1949. Does anyone know if this is the same for English made razors?

My second bargain is an Old Style which I have dated as 1909 - albeit from USA serial number dating so that may be wrong.
Does anyone know the thinking behind the 'combs' on these style of razors a feature which has been largely phased out?

Can't help you with the dating, but as for the open-comb design, it's still got a following - in fact I think I prefer it. I don't know what the "official" reasons are for the open comb-design, but in my experience, it gives a closer, easier shave. The cutting edge of the blade seems better lubricated by the soap (because most of it's not been wiped away by the closed-comb or safety bar) and also the open comb doesn't flatten down the stubble as much before the blade gets to it.

Those are my feelings anyway - I'm sure other luminaries on this site will give their thoughts too.

MandoBear said:
Can't help you with the dating, but as for the open-comb design, it's still got a following - in fact I think I prefer it. I don't know what the "official" reasons are for the open comb-design, but in my experience, it gives a closer, easier shave. The cutting edge of the blade seems better lubricated by the soap (because most of it's not been wiped away by the closed-comb or safety bar) and also the open comb doesn't flatten down the stubble as much before the blade gets to it.

Those are my feelings anyway - I'm sure other luminaries on this site will give their thoughts too.

That seems a very well reasoned and logical explanation for the open comb design. I had imagined it had something to do with men in the 1900s not shaving daily, maybe even only once a week, and the open comb in some way spreading a weeks growth of stubble making for a better shave.
Anyway, I prefer your explanation.

Back
Top Bottom