Razor Brands To Avoid

this list just proves the old adage, " a bad workman always blames his tools"

Eh? What are you on about. This list proves that guys who know more about straights than the rest of us will ever forget in a lifetime are trying to do you a favour and prevent you wasting your cash on crap. A more appropriate old adage 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear'.

Thanks,I swear by my Meule, I have a Jagger and it shaves fine so surprised to see they have a high rejection rate. I must have been lucky. It certainly saves from buying rubbish. Side issue are there any bad kamisori's to avoid? ( next on my wish list, a good one that is!).

Regards

Mark

Hate to use one of my first post to slag, but that experience would possibly have ended my foray into straight razors very early!

I started with an eBay 'shave ready' sheffield razor, and I found it pretty hard going -- a combination of poor technic, and strong beard. Also, I thought that I needed more than one day growth to get a good shave. Long story short, that razor is just fine now with experience!

Anyway, at that point after my first shave, I told myself I needed some sort of 'reference' razor. So off I went online to a very well known distributor, and bought a Dovo Master's "shave ready" razor.

Turns out, shave was even worse. At that point, I was half tempted to just give up. Luckily, I soldiered on, got some other razors to try, got some stones to hone, and started to build a better technic and enjoy my shaves...

*apart* from that Master's -- it was always poor. Tried at least 2 times to redo the edge, and it was always poor. At that point I had discovered DrMatt's youtube channel, and did the 'rocking test' on a piece of stone, and discovered that that brand new Dovo had extremely poor geometry.

Armed with a lot more experience honing etc, I ended up using a small sharpening stone to make a bevel on one side to equalise the spine (it had 1/2mm difference in thickness between front and back, and both side were 'frowning'!) and re-flatten both side of the spine, and after that, it took a 'proper' edge and was saved...

But, the conclusion is, I wouldn't recommend a new Dovo, especially as a first razor! If it *had* been my first razor, I would very likely would have tossed the whole thing in a drawer and go back to my DE shaving...

For sure you definitely need to start straight razor shaving with a razor from a trusted source as you have no way of knowing how much of the learning curve is down to technique or kit. Everyone sells razors as "shave ready" but they rarely are, in the wild, even from factory or authorised reseller. There are people on here I've bought from, or taken recommendations from, who I trust when they say shave ready. Luckily I bought my first straight from a recommended supplier and could then categorically take all blame for bad shaves on my own state of learning at the time.