Rate The Last Film You Watched

Diamonds Are Forever (1971)

In my opinion, this is Sean Connery's worst Bond film. Everything about this film is weak. It has weak action sequences, a very unmemorable Bond Girl in Jill St. John and probably the least menacing and most laughable villains in the history of the Bond franchise. Shirley Bassey's rousing theme song is the only thing that redeems it. I give it 5/10. I take no pleasure in giving it such a low score, but a weak score reflects a weak film.

Live And Let Die (1973)

I know that a lot of people like Roger Moore, and a lot of people like this film. Sorry to be a fly in the ointment, but I am not one of those people. I dislike this film intensely, and almost everything about it. In fact, I have never liked it. Watching it now just makes me physically cringe. It is, without any doubt, one of the most dated and borderline racist of all of the James Bond films. I also HATE the theme song with a passion that is indescribable. I doubt that I will ever watch this awful film again. Sorry, but no rating. I'll stick to the Ian Fleming novel. This is surely the lowest point in the entire Bond series.

The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)

In my opinion, this is one of the worst ever Bond films. Everything about the film is awful. It has kung-fu action scenes that make me cringe, a godawful theme song by Lulu, and very boring villains. Even Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland can't save this. The only half-decent action sequence is the car chase, but even that is completely ruined by that awful Swannee whistle sound effect. In all honesty, I cannot think of anything that could redeem this film. Only Live And Let Die is worse than this. No rating.

The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

One of the best James Bond films of the entire series, in my opinion. I think that it's certainly the best of the 1970s Bond films. Roger Moore really made the part his own in this film, I think. There are some superb stunts and action set-pieces, Barbara Bach is a good Bond Girl and Jaws is a cartoonish, but very memorable villain. I also love the theme song by Carly Simon. However, I thought that Stromberg was a very dull and boring main villain, but this did not spoil my enjoyment of the film. I give it the maximum score of 10/10.

Thoroughly enjoyed The Full Monty last night. Not seen it for a number of years. Saw it at the cinema when it was released back in 97.

It is a great watch. Love a British film with a happy ending. Robert Carlyle has a tremendous Yorkshire accent. The writer is even from my hometown!

Thoroughly enjoyed The Full Monty last night. Not seen it for a number of years. Saw it at the cinema when it was released back in 97.

It is a great watch. Love a British film with a happy ending. Robert Carlyle has a tremendous Yorkshire accent. The writer is even from my hometown!

One of the more subtle moments was the very English bit where they are stuck in the middle of a canal - on top of a car from memory - and someone walks past and asks if they are ok, do they need help. The answer was no problem pal, we will be fine.

One of the more subtle moments was the very English bit where they are stuck in the middle of a canal - on top of a car from memory - and someone walks past and asks if they are ok, do they need help. The answer was no problem pal, we will be fine.
Thought it provided a really interesting snapshot of those times. Closing down of the steel industry. Sheffield's landscape has certainly changed physically.

Moonraker (1979)

The second worst Bond film of the 1970s, in my opinion. This was when the Bond producers jumped the shark and jumped on the Star Wars bandwagon. I first saw this film back in the mid 1980s. I hated it back then and I still hate it now. Everything about this film is extremely OTT and hokey. The humour factor is ramped up so high that it makes the Carry On films look subtle in comparison. Watching this film makes my toes curl. The only decent thing about it is the pre-credits sequence, which admittedly does feature some impressive stunt work (even though the use of stunt doubles is extremely obvious). Thank God that it was followed by the far superior For Your Eyes Only. No rating, because even admitting that I watched it again is embarrassing. One of the very few Bond films that I would describe as crap.

I first saw it at the cinema in 1997 too. I then went out and bought the video when it was released. I bought it from Woolworths (remember them?), who were selling the video alongside the video of Brassed Off as an offer. I bought them both. I then later bought the film on DVD when that came out as well. I never get fed-up of this film. It's one of the best British comedies ever, in my opinion.

I first saw it at the cinema in 1997 too. I then went out and bought the video when it was released. I bought it from Woolworths (remember them?), who were selling the video alongside the video of Brassed Off as an offer. I bought them both. I then later bought the film on DVD when that came out as well. I never get fed-up of this film. It's one of the best British comedies ever, in my opinion.
Brassed Off, another great Yorkshire based film. I need to track that down and give it a good watch.

Octopussy (1983)

Peoples' opinions of this film tend to be very polarised. I know people who love it but I also know people who hate it. I have always had a special place in my heart for this film, because it was one of the first James Bond films that I ever saw. Although it does tip over into Moonraker-style silliness occasionally, it is a much better film than that, in my opinion. The plot is almost impossible to understand or follow, but it has some superb action sequences and stunts. I have also always had a bit of a "thing" for Kristina Wayborn, one of the Bond Girls in the film. The theme song is also not THAT bad, despite it being a resounding flop in the UK singles chart in 1983. I give the film 8/10.

A View To A Kill (1985)

I've now watched all of the Roger Moore Bond films. This film, sadly, is not one of his best. It is as corny and silly as Moonraker in many scenes, even more so than Octopussy. I have always thought that Grace Jones must be the Bond Girl with the least amount of sex appeal or onscreen chemistry with Bond, and I have not changed my mind. I did not find her attractive at all. Tanya Roberts, in comparison, can't act for toffee, but she is much easier on the eye. There is also some very obvious use of stunt doubles in most of the action scenes, which does tend to take you out of the film. Christopher Walken is a good, manic villain, though, and the theme song by Duran Duran is one of the best of the series, in my opinion. I give the film 6/10.

Dracula Prince Of Darkness (1966)

I have always enjoyed this film. It's one of the very best Hammer horror films, in my opinion. Christopher Lee returned to the role of Dracula for this film, even though he doesn't say a word and doesn't even appear in the film until halfway through. Philip Latham plays his servant Klove, who more than makes up for his absence, though. Suzan Farmer makes good eye candy, though I have never been very keen on Barbara Shelley. I don't really know why. The film is generally creepy, and has a good ending. The DVD version also includes footage that was originally cut by the BBFC back in the day. I enjoyed watching the film again, and I give it a solid 10/10.

Reactions: PHR
The Curse Of Frankenstein (1957)

I'm having a bit of a Hammer horror "phase" at the moment. This film is one of my favourites. It's still extremely atmospheric and eerie to this day. Peter Cushing is excellent as the Baron and Christopher Lee plays the monster very well. Hazel Court and Valerie Gaunt both make great female leads. The recent DVD version also includes the "notorious eyeball scene", which in reality only lasts for a couple of seconds. If you blinked, you would miss it. Still, this is one of the best Hammer horror films, in my opinion, and is also one of my personal favourite horror films of all time. I give it a solid 10/10.

Reactions: PHR
The Last Command, 1928. Silents don't usually grip me from start to finish but this one did! Almost every shot is framed like a still and beautifully lit. Must be one of the earliest Hollywood films that is also about Hollywood.

Back
Top Bottom