Rate The Last Film You Watched

Rita, Sue and Bob too.
Still makes me laugh, one of those films that just wouldn't get made nowadays with today's sensibilities.
Don't know if people have just forgot how to take the piss out of each other, or it was just more innocent times and people didn't read too much into things, either way I love this film :)
View attachment 104183

I saw a documentary about the writer of this film, her name was Andrea Dunbar and 'The Arbor' is the name of the film.

A very interesting, challenging and finely made documentary.

Rita, Sue and Bob too.
Still makes me laugh, one of those films that just wouldn't get made nowadays with today's sensibilities.
Don't know if people have just forgot how to take the piss out of each other, or it was just more innocent times and people didn't read too much into things, either way I love this film
Bloody love this film. Hilarious, and relatively local to where I live.

I'm a huge fan of this film. One of my all time favourites. I liked the first remake by Herzog, but I can't remember much about it. I'm somewhat intrigued by the Egger brothers remake.

However, I can't see anyone ever rivalling Schreck's performance. Even a 100 years later, there is something about his performance which is so unpalatable for his viewer. It's horror film making at some of it's most visceral.
It's one of my favourites too. I would also put it in my personal Top 5 vampire films of all time. I also have the Herzog remake on DVD, which I also enjoyed. I thought that Klaus Kinski made a good vampire, and it was a very worthy homage to the original. It's also easy to see the influence of Nosferatu in other films such as Salem's Lot. The lead vampire in Salem's Lot, Mr. Barlow, is almost identical to the vampire in Nosferatu. It's no coincidence that the film Salem's Lot was released in the same year as the remake of Nosferatu (1979).

I had no idea that there was going to be a new remake, though. I don't really follow modern cinema that much. I doubt very much that a new version of the film, in the era of CGI, could ever do a film like Nosferatu justice, in any case. It's very doubtful that a new remake would be able to capture the sheer chill factor, atmosphere and spirit of the original. They would never be able to find another actor like Max Schreck. I think that I'll stick to the original and 1979 remake.

Carry On Girls (1973)

This was the point where the Carry On films started to get seriously shit. I don't recall very much about the plot (something about a beauty contest), but I didn't make it all of the way through the film. In fact, I turned it off just before the halfway point. I also didn't like the way that most of the male characters in the film, particularly Sid James' character, were even more lecherous than usual, at the expense of the female characters. I'm sorry, but this film would be near to the bottom of my league table of Carry On films (if I had one). It proves just how far the quality of the films had fallen by this time. No score.

Carry On Dick (1974)

This was the last halfway decent Carry On film, IMO. The series went rapidly downhill after this film and never recovered. It's a parody of highwaymen and Dick Turpin in particular. The film does have some very funny moments, but it was the last truly funny Carry On film. It was also the last to be scripted by Talbot Rothwell and the last Carry On film with Sid James (he died 2 years later). Unfortunately, the emphasis is on Barbara Windsor's tits again, particularly in one scene involving bell-ringing, but IIRC this was her last Carry On film too, thank God. I enjoyed most of the film and it did make me laugh in quite a few scenes, which is all that really matters. I give it a score of 8/10.

Carry On Behind (1975)

The Carry On films had just about run out of ideas by this point. I watched this again last night purely to finish off my DVD boxset, but I did not find it an enjoyable experience at all. Basically, this film is just a very poor remake of Carry On Camping, but with caravans instead of tents. Most of the regular cast aren't even in this, with the exception of Kenneth Williams and Kenneth Connor, both of whom are now showing their age. I have never thought that this film was very funny and I still don't. If you want to see how a film like this should be done, then watch Carry On Camping instead. I give this mediocre effort no score.

Meh. Gorgeous visuals. Terrible pacing. Weak story writing.

A Man Called Otto.

Good movie. Trailer makes it look like a comedy. It's not. It's rather a sad movie, actually.

The Portable Door.

Good movie. Not very memorable, but based on an old children's book from my youth.

As for T.V., two standout shows. Picard and Shadow & Bone. Picard has the best plot I've seen in a long time. Truly the best I've seen from the Star Trek Universe thus far.

Shadow & Bone is what Wheel of Time, The Witcher, and The Rings of Power ought to have been. i.e. true to the source material. It follows the books closely, with a minimum of wokeness and forced diversity.

Meh. Gorgeous visuals. Terrible pacing. Weak story writing.

A Man Called Otto.

Good movie. Trailer makes it look like a comedy. It's not. It's rather a sad movie, actually.
The Portable Door.

Good movie. Not very memorable, but based on an old children's book from my youth.

As for T.V., two standout shows. Picard and Shadow & Bone. Picard has the best plot I've seen in a long time. Truly the best I've seen from the Star Trek Universe thus far.

Shadow & Bone is what Wheel of Time, The Witcher, and The Rings of Power ought to have been. i.e. true to the source material. It follows the books closely, with a minimum of wokeness and forced diversity.
I loved the film A man called Otto, as you say quite a sad film which took me by surprise because of the trailer, very moving.

Paul.

Carry On England (1976)

I had given up on the Carry On films by this point. I put the DVD on last night, but I actually fell asleep halfway through it and that hardly ever happens to me. I actually found the film painfully unfunny and it actually bored me, which NEVER usually happens with Carry On films. The series had really hit rock-bottom when they made this film. Hardly any of the regular cast are in it, which doesn't help, and I just didn't think it was very funny at all. No score for this.

I have now finished with my Carry On boxset and I intend to donate it to one of my local charity shops. I enjoyed most of the films in the set, but some more than others. Hopefully, it will now be bought by someone else who will enjoy them.

Reactions: PHR
Watched in the earth tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a fan of Ben Wheatley, and this film hits the spot with me. Typical Ben Wheatley film, hallucinogenic, esoteric and deeply fucked up in a very English way.
It was like a cross between the whicker man and apocalypse now, Reece Shearsmith puts in an appearance too.
If you like your viewing odd, well worth a watch ...
IMG_20230529_000838.jpg

Carry On At Your Convenience (1971)

This film was the Carry On team's spoof of unions and strikes. Although the film lacks a proper plot (as a lot of other Carry On films do, to be fair), the film does have some very funny moments. I liked the main character, Vic Spanner (played by Kenneth Cope), his gormless mate (played by the ever-reliable Bernard Bresslaw) and his domineering battleaxe mother (played by Renee Houston). Sid James is also very good in his scenes with his "talking" pet bird, who is apparently able to predict winners of horse races. Hattie Jacques plays a more "dialled-down" part than usual, as his long-suffering wife. The rest of the cast are also good, though, to be fair. I enjoyed the film immensely when I watched it again last night. I give it a solid score of 9/10.
I always enjoy this movie, it's my second favourite carry on.
I enjoyed reading your thoughts on all the films.

Back
Top Bottom