Ralf Aust Stainless Steel razor

Good evening Gents,

I have just received a new Stainless Steel Straight Razor for my 60th Birthday. My question is does this razor need a coat of mineral oil after shaving and drying?
Thanks for any advise.
Stevie

Good evening Gents,

I have just received a new Stainless Steel Straight Razor for my 60th Birthday. My question is does this razor need a coat of mineral oil after shaving and drying?
Thanks for any advise.
Stevie
No, just give it a dry and a quick strop to make sure your cutting edge is properly dry and put it away, some folk like to strop after a shave so it's ready for the next shave and some will wait until the next shave, it's up to you. You don't need to worry too much with stainless steel.
Pull some tissue paper ( loo roll ) between the scales to dry before you close your razor.
Paul.

Last edited:
Great birthday present! And happy 60th!
As above, I would just clean and dry it with loo paper, try to avoid getting water in the scales and pin, and in any case a wipe between the scales is good. I strop my straights perhaps 30 laps after a shave and 30 before. It seems less onerous than doing 50-odd before the shave, and ensures its clean, dry and essentially ready for the next day.

If you really want to use something on it, perhaps before extended storage, you can get Clippercide, which is like a mix of Barbicide disinfectant and clipper oil. But unless you live near the coast where rust taps you on the shoulder, you can probably just keep it clean and dry without the extra products.

Great birthday present! And happy 60th!
As above, I would just clean and dry it with loo paper, try to avoid getting water in the scales and pin, and in any case a wipe between the scales is good. I strop my straights perhaps 30 laps after a shave and 30 before. It seems less onerous than doing 50-odd before the shave, and ensures its clean, dry and essentially ready for the next day.

If you really want to use something on it, perhaps before extended storage, you can get Clippercide, which is like a mix of Barbicide disinfectant and clipper oil. But unless you live near the coast where rust taps you on the shoulder, you can probably just keep it clean and dry without the extra products.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom