Radishes....am I missing something?

Inspired by PC's latest avatar, I've grown them, easy enough, I generally like spice and heat but I have never felt the love for these odd veggies.

Is there a "to die for" recipe I should know about?

Now I think about it, they are a bit odd, aren't they? I like them thinly (but not too thinly) sliced in salads, they add a nice crunch and belchyness.

Yes, they are a kind of "Meh" vegetable, as Larry David would say. OK in a salad but not bothered about them on their own. Best thing about them is they're easy to grow.

The French are supposed to like radishes, butter and salt in combination...suppose it depends the type of r,b and s.

By the way Henk I have been mostly using Wheelbarrow butter from NL recently, I rather like it.

Let me guess it's made from rat's milk and the UK are the only ones daft enough to buy it.

I did a quick search and actually found a site with a few non-salad recipes:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.canadianliving.com/food/menus_and_collections/12_ravishing_radish_recipes.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.canadianliving.com/food/menu ... ecipes.php</a><!-- m -->

Can't say they look particularly amazing, but if I happened to have a glut of radishes on my hands I may give them a go. :hungrig

Glut's a good word! :D

antdad said:
Inspired by PC's latest avatar, I've grown them, easy enough, I generally like spice and heat but I have never felt the love for these odd veggies.

Is there a "to die for" recipe I should know about?

Tony
Err!....Looks like that's a no, a definite no.

They are bloody tasty though.

antdad said:
By the way Henk I have been mostly using Wheelbarrow butter from NL recently, I rather like it.
Let me guess it's made from rat's milk and the UK are the only ones daft enough to buy it.

No, and yes. It is (supposed to be) normal dairy butter ;-), but wheelbarrow is an export-only brand, if I remember correctly not even a single-proprietor brand but a trade-organisation brand. I've seen it in the UK, and it is probably also available elsewhere, but not here, at least not in high street shops and groceries.

Not again, I'm a sucker for shiny packaging...what have you got there Henk a few butter mountains to make the landscape more interesting?

They are smart, they even made the website look shit to give the product that "home made" feel.

antdad said:
Not again, I'm a sucker for shiny packaging...what have you got there Henk a few butter mountains to make the landscape more interesting?

They are smart, they even made the website look shit to give the product that "home made" feel.

Yep. Loads and loads of dairy farmers. Probably since much of the country is not fit for growing/raising anything else... I think that wheelbarrow was available in UK shops for as long as I can remember that we visited England, and later Wales, as a family. First time was in 1971.

We actually preferred the salted butter, readily available in the UK, which was no longer available then in the Netherlands.

Back
Top Bottom