Progressing from Progress

Been doing the DE thing for nearly a year now and have stayed (frugally) devoted to my Merkur long-handled Progress. It has served me well and from what I have read it is a good for starting out. But lately I have been wondering if there is another razor out there that might be even better. Anyone got any recommendations for a sequel to the Progress?

Depends what you are looking for, another adjustable? in that case a nice vintage Gillette Slim would be different enough but no too rare that it will cost the earth. If looking for something completely different like non adjustable I really like the Muhle R41 open comb and the EJ head (DE87, chatsworth) or if you like the Merkur brand the 38C gets some really good reviews as an everyday shaver.

I think you have to ask yourself what do you want out your next razor? something aggressive that you take out at the weekend or when you have time for a BBS? or something that you can pick up and use with just about any blade/soap and get a decent weekday shave in 5 mins? I think the Progress is a great everyday razor that can be dialed up to make it more aggressive but the Futur is a more naturally aggressive adjustable; however since you already have and adjustable I would recommend you try a non adjustable next.

Buy what jumps out at you...use the force....

That EJ Chatworth with the Ivory handle that I have read Fido raving about. That piques my curiosity, maybe it is something lighter that I am looking for that will give better feedback but I realise that the weight of the razor is important in DE shaving. I suppose, speed is also what I am after - 5 mins tops. I am hoping that my skill has developed to execute a quick, nick-free shave with hardly the need for ASB.

I thought Fido had the metal handle one, maybe he has both. I have the metal and the horn handled one and there is a big difference in weight. As you will have read even Fido questions himself after using the Merkur 38C, I think you really can't go wrong with either. the EJ head is very well finished (apart from Fido's breaking) and the Merkur is slightly more aggressive but more similar in feel to what you have.

you can even buy the EJ head on it's own and use any handle of your choice <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/EJDEHbl5||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@b|0|user||21|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... |user||21|</a><!-- m -->

But if you have only the Progress you need a handle anyway.

Hi DEBest,
I have and like the Progress, if you're looking for something slightly different then perhaps a fixed head would indeed be the way to go. I really like my long handled Merkur slant, although some feel that allied to say a Feather blade it can seem an aggresive razor. I've never found any probs with it. Failing that I can only agree that the Muhle is a truly lovely piece of equipment for daily use. I think it would suit any degree of experience, from beginner to seasoned hand. Mine is the closed comb version simply because I find open comb razors are very uncomfortable to use, which is just a personal thing. This mild addiction to expanding our razor collections is maybe the only drawback to enjoying the luxury and economy of wet shaving. Have gr8 fun selecting your next razor and go for one which looks as if it apppeals to you.
Plse let us know what you settle on & how it works out.
JohnnyO.

Thanks Audiolab - I think I might spring for a EJ Chatsworth, which BTW I think you were right when you said Fido has it with a metal handle. Where, I wonder, is the best online place to get it.
Thanks JohnnyO, your post just slipped in just as I was replying to Audiolab's. I might give the Muhle a closer look. I'll let you know how I get on.

Depends on the exact model you want. There are a few models, smooth and lined metal, faux horn and ivory (which are lighter then the metal) and all differing prices. Personally for EJ stuff I use one of these two shops both have a high reputation. However I am sure there other places as well, so pick the model you want and shop around to see where is cheapest for the model (including delivery and that "extra" you slip in the order ;)

The metal ones have a good "heft to them" and the horn one I like because it is nice and light and even although it is the exact same head the handle does make a difference to how it feels to use, I know it's the same head and there should be no difference but the weight makes it feel different and you change how you handle them, both are great it is just a personal preference which I could not decide on so bought both.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi/@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@bEdwin%20Jagger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... n%20Jagger</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Double_Edge_Safety_Razors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog ... azors.html</a><!-- m -->

I reckon if you're only going to have one razor, then an adjustable is a good choice.

I like to have two. I have a Muhle DE89 (with knurled handle, same head as the EJs) and a Merkur HD.

The HD is far heavier and is a more aggressive razor. The blade gap, angle, and exposure are all greater than the Muhle.

The Muhle is a notch or two milder. I use this on days when it's only been one or two days since the last shave. With a blade like a Super Thin or Crystal/Red Personna, it's a close, comfy shave and almost impossible to nick yourself.

However, I usually only shave 2-3 times a week, and for that the HD excels, particularly partnered with a Feather blade! I sold my Slant as I found the HD to shave equally as well, and was easier to use.

The HD is a fantastic razor.

John

Back
Top Bottom