Prescription swimming goggles

Being very short sighted I have never been a keen swimmer. Has anyone had any experience with using high prescription goggles for swimming? Swimming is such an excellent form of exercise I'd like to give it a serious go but only if I can use effective goggles.

Both my wife and I have ones made by Hilco which we from the opticians.

It seems to me that do a variety of single vision lens "eyepieces" then put them together on a mix and match basis. After all they are only attached to to the nose piece and the strap.

They are as effective as any decent swimming goggles and cost me £40 some years ago. They are not as optically good as real glasses but for wondering around the pool and changing rooms they do the job very well.

My prescription of -12.75/-12.00 is outside most limits. I've been in touch with the guy I use to make my specs and he can do a custom pair for around £65 so I will give that a go.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've decided my running days are over after yet another foot injury that won't clear up. My local sports centre offers us oldies unlimited use of pools, gym etc for £360 a year so that's where I'm off to. Must rush - a gang of 4 due to arrive for table tennis!

I wish ! I'm not considered a suitable case for laser treatment with my acute shortsightedness. Even if I was, I wouldn't consider it now. I used contact lenses for many years but developed an allergy to the cleaning fluids I used. I now have relatively lightweight specs and extra thin Zeiss lenses which have served me well for table tennis and running until now.

I don't know if you'd be allergic to the storage solution too but there are a lot of options when it comes to lenses now Peter. I usually buy a 3 month pack of disposible's for sport and they last me around a year, no more cleaning anymore.

Much appreciated. Perhaps if I think of returning to more sports I'll look at what's on offer. In my schooldays I got sent of for bringing down the rugby ref with a powerful tackle - bloody fool was wearing the same colour as the opposition! He refused to believe I knew what I was doing. No contact lenses in those days.

Ha, I realised I need goggles during my driving test when I was asked to do the distance test on a number plate and I could barely make it out.

Truth!

Fido, goggles aren't essential - but I wouldn't be without mine.

I go swimming about 4 times a week and I still run 5 times a week but the swimming is the one I'd be doing if I really, really had no choice.

Watch what the really efficent swimmers do . . . that's the way to really enjoy and make the most of your time at the pool.

Back
Top Bottom