Premium Socks

Same, the cotton rich ones are my go to socks and last a good while. Looking at SmartWool, not sure if I'd spend £18 on one pair even though I understand it's a good thing to do
There was a TV program on a few weeks ago about Pantherella now on You Tube 'Inside the Factory' was very interesting but still not sure I would pay £18 a pair. M@S works fine for me.

I knit my own, in wool with a bit of nylon in the mix. I have made eight pairs for myself so far and am working on my ninth, in an Argyle pattern (see work in progress in pic). Some of the early ones have gone through in the heel and the ball of the foot but when they do I simply knit a replacement heel or patch. They never go in the toe like bought socks because I knit them to fit my foot length. You can also shape longer ones to match the profile of your calf, as with these Argyle socks which I intend to wear with sock suspenders.

Very talented and great work

Some very interesting posts. Usually like Pantherella; but also go for Burlington Argyle (Preston). Have over the years reverted to the original Burlington Argyle's made from synthetic fibres, because I have found these to be the most comfortable and long lasting; both the cotton and wool blends seem to shrink in my opinion and obviously become far too tight. I know sock aficionados usually hand wash, but I just don't have time for this.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for good, reasonably priced walking / boot socks?
PS: Don't particularly like the metal stud on the Burlington, but this has now been a feature for a very, very long time and is unlikely to be changed.

Last edited:
Some very interesting posts. Usually like Pantherella; but also go for Burlington Argyle (Preston). Have over the years reverted to the original Burlington Argyle's made from synthetic fibres, because I have found these to be the most comfortable and long lasting; both the cotton and wool blends seem to shrink in my opinion and obviously become far too tight. I know sock aficionados usually hand wash, but I just don't have time for this.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for good, reasonably priced walking / boot socks?
PS: Don't particularly like the metal stud on the Burlington, but this has now been a feature for a very, very long time and is unlikely to be changed.

I’ve tried a few different brands of walking socks over the years but have settled on Bridgedale as the sizing seems to fit my feet best. I do a lot of walking and there is nothing worse than a sock that is slightly too large and increases the chance of developing blisters. I like a wool blend as they let your feet breath and they dry very quickly.

I am a great fan of Paul Smith socks. When I was flying every week I was able to visit the PS shop at T5. Always a sucker for any new designs :)

Back
Top Bottom