Preferred Tie Knot and Collar combos

jds

I like cutaway collars with a nice tight four in hand. Has to be perfect though, don't like it when then top button is exposed. I rarely get it spot on. Huw Edwards - he of the BBC news - always seems to get it right.

Jon

Got to say that with a cutaway I tend to feel that a windsor somehow sits in better, however it's so much a matter of personal taste and expression I'd be reluctant to suggest what anyone else may prefer. (One of the areas where I do disagree with Mr. I. L. Fleming who so disapproved of the windsor knot that he, as he often did, put his views into the mind of his fictional creation, Mr. J. Bond).

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Once upon a time ago I was a bit of a bloater and found that a full windsor used too much of the tie up - it'd be dangling about by midriff, hence my preference for the four in hand ever since I guess. I might go with a half windsor tomorrow, to see how it looks.

My feelings on the full are the similar as above - too bulky, I was always look at Edward VIII with his and think it looks the same size as his head.

Cheers,

Jon

Standard collar worn open necked around the head office, half Windsor for visits to suppliers, outstations, meetings in town etc.

I like cutaways but I don't own any, I'm not sure they look right with no tie under a jacket.

I'm with JDS on this one - I don't like either the full or half windsor. I've worn cut-away collars for the last 20 years nearly and usually manage to get a decent knot with a central crease. However, there are some ties that just don't seem to tie or hang properly.

I like cutaways but I don't own any, I'm not sure they look right with no tie under a jacket.

Absolutely with you there m8. For me they truly do look somehow "strange" without a tie.
there are some ties that just don't seem to tie or hang properly
There truly are some ties which just never seem to tie up or hang correctly, aren't there. So glad that I'm not the only person who finds this. For me any tie from "Smart Turnout" or the Army Benevolent Fund tie can always be depended upon to fall into a gr8 knot & hang no matter how shaky my auld handies are (for whatever reason) or how foggy my cataracts are making vision that morning.

All of my shirts are normal collars, because it's far enough down my priority list on shirt choice that there's no choice.

Knot depends on tie material; with a thinner tie, half-Windsor, with a thicker, Pratt.

It tends to depend on tie to be honest. Usually a Windsor or a Double (I prefer that to a Four In Hand), sometimes a Half Windsor.

I like various collar style, depending on the shirt and its intended use.

I'm sure you all know this, but M&S Made To Measure shirts (via their on-line service) are really good value, and allow you to get the exact mix of collar, cuffs, pockets and other finishing touches that you want to make a shirt just how you like it.

SirPrize said:
Lose the beard said:
I like cutaway collars, usually with a Half Windsor, personally I find a full Windsor a little too bulky.

Precisely.
And with a standard or button-down collar a four-in-hand.

Got to say that in matters of style I always take advantage of SirP. Just because he actually does seem to have the kind of gr8 natural taste I'd love to have.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Part cutaway, with four in hand. I like the asymmetry of the four in hand. The collar also works open necked for me, but I am slowly getting into button downs for tieless days.

Back
Top Bottom