Pre shave preparation

rangers62 said:
Andy with you all the way
Being off over the holidays, I treated myself to a long soak in the bath, Pink Floyd on, it began to get hypnotic. I had a flannel in the bath and kept soaking it and laying it across my fizzer. Brand new Gillette Thai blade, Tabac soap. The resultant shave was as Andy described, silent. Afterwards, prior to going out, I had a quick shower, not too hot. My shave felt even better. If I had the time, this would be my routine. Hedonistic luxury.
As we say up here "You're a long while deid"

Sounds like mine this morning.

Hot water and a peaceful patient mind makes my shave loads better.

Indeed there s nothing like shaving when you are chilled out, be it from a bath or just that it is a "nothing to do" day my shaves are always of the highest quality when relaxed.

I am working my way through a 200ml bottle of GFT Skin Food.

I read from someone who had a Trumper's shave that they used this stuff as a pre-shave, in between passes and of course post shave. If is good enough for Geo F, then it's good enough for me.

I think that the difference it makes to the shave is slight. But it's a luxury that I like to afford myself.

just plenty of hot water and a facecloth. I spend about 5 minutes softening the bristles then lather. I don't use any pre shave oil since I found that using it under a shaving soap made no difference whatsoever to razor glide. Just make sure your beard is softened thoroughly.

Throw me in with the lot that uses the Proraso pre/post every time.

Those of you fancying buying oils; if you could turn off your nose for a 'blind' taste test, I'll bet a 60/40 castor/grapeseed oil mix would give as excellent a result as any oil, and you could spend very little once and provide for the whole neighborhood for years. A few drops of some essence with a pleasing scent (I'll vote for oil from a grapefruit, cheap here in FL) thrown in will greatly improve the nose of the stuff.

Starting off with a clean, hot, and wet face is miles more important than any other beard prep...I don't have that kind of time, but try one of those face steamer things once and be amazed.

I use the Proraso pre/post shave stuff as well.

I first used the normal jar, but found that was a bit too much for me and then moved onto the sensitive skin jar. I apply it to my skin after having had a shower just before I start to lather the brush up.

I am not overly sure how much effect it has (I should really do a trial for a week without it to see what the difference is), maybe it is partly psychological as it is so ingrained into my shaving routine, but it seems to help me have a decent shave.

I've settled into a routine of using a face cloth that's been soaked in hot water in the sink, soaking my brush at the same time. Followed either by some of Messrs Truefitt and Hill's pre-shave oil or, more usually these days, an application of a thin, watery lather. This is then left on my visage while making the lather proper, applied using circular scrubbing motions with the brush, followed by painting.

After the first pass I wet my hands and give my face a quick massage, squeeze the brush to release the sumptuous, dense lather within for the second pass.

Works for me.

Regards

Ian

I've had a jar of the pre/post prorase menthol for a while ,I'd not been too bothered about it.
This thread prompted me to give it another go.Mixed it with water and applied pre-shave,
very nice menthol hit. Shave was very nice ,smooth and close , no hint of irritation (don't usually get much anyway)
but my skin felt very smooth after. I'm going to use this for the next while and see if it becomes a regular.

I too use the proraso after a hot soak, and give my face a good massage at the same time. This is left on while i whip up my lather, which is then applied over the top.
Works for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom