Pre shave oil,

That's quite interesting - I've been using preshave oil for past couple months -first with cartridge and now with first wetshave, and had no issues so far .

Was it a case of oil type itself or what soap/cream it was paired with for you, how do you both think?

It's easy to use too much pre shave oil that will not only kill your lather and result in irritation as @Boycie83 has mentioned - it can also cling to the brush fibres and the blade - and can make an awful mess of the wash basin. I don't always use a pre shave but when I do, I much prefer to use a glycerine soap, such as Pears, Heno De Pravia or La Toja Mango.

Less is more when using pre shave oils

If I spilled oil on my face, hands or skin I'd look to remove it with hot water, soap and a good scrub.

I can't get my head around a preshave oil for this reason. Doesn't the soap and brush just clean it off your face?

I've never used it so apologies if this is a bit daft and I'm missing something obvious, maybe it isn't designed to stay on the face?

If I spilled oil on my face, hands or skin I'd look to remove it with hot water, soap and a good scrub.

I can't get my head around a preshave oil for this reason. Doesn't the soap and brush just clean it off your face?

I've never used it so apologies if this is a bit daft and I'm missing something obvious, maybe it isn't designed to stay on the face?
The pre shave oil is supposed to hydrate and soften the beard before shaving, you would ideally put this on a while before you you soak your brush and make your lather to give it time to work, if you shave in the morning the best time to apply pre shave oil is just before you go to bed. I was told this by The British Barber's Association, this gives the oil (you only need a small amount) time to hydrate your skin and beard in readiness for your morning shave, it does make a difference, give it a go for a week and test out the theory.
Your skin and stubble will be in the perfect condition for shaving, wash with soap and water as part of your prep and apply lather and shave.
If you don't notice a difference after one week of doing this (ideally using the BBA Pre Shave Oil) I would be surprised.
Skin and beard condition is all important as part of your pre shave program. :)

Paul.

The pre shave oil is supposed to hydrate and soften the beard before shaving, you would ideally put this on a while before you you soak your brush and make your lather to give it time to work, if you shave in the morning the best time to apply pre shave oil is just before you go to bed. I was told this by The British Barber's Association, this gives the oil (you only need a small amount) time to hydrate your skin and beard in readiness for your morning shave, it does make a difference, give it a go for a week and test out the theory.
Your skin and stubble will be in the perfect condition for shaving, wash with soap and water as part of your prep and apply lather and shave.
If you don't notice a difference after one week of doing this (ideally using the BBA Pre Shave Oil) I would be surprised.
Skin and beard condition is all important as part of your pre shave program. :)

Paul.
Ah, makes more sense now. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom