Potentially daft question about injector blades

DSC_0241_zpsfnkdwbre.jpg

I'm not sure if I fully understand the issue here, but if the question is aimed at - should the bevel only be applied from a specific side - I would say it makes no difference. If the bevel on these blades is asymmetrical, the differences in angle from one side to the other will be minor and easily compensated by a slight change in the razor angle used.

A similar argument exists around Japanese Kamisori razors - you can use both sides with no problem and I've yet to hear anyone say they can tell the difference.

I'm not sure if I fully understand the issue here, but if the question is aimed at - should the bevel only be applied from a specific side - I would say it makes no difference. If the bevel on these blades is asymmetrical, the differences in angle from one side to the other will be minor and easily compensated by a slight change in the razor angle used.

A similar argument exists around Japanese Kamisori razors - you can use both sides with no problem and I've yet to hear anyone say they can tell the difference.
The difference is only Minor Rob..I have noticed a difference though depending on the Coating..The Krona Blade that he is talking about has an Unusual Teflon Coating & a So Called Krona Edge & it sure does make a Difference with them..:)

Billy

I have had another look under a microscope at the edge of the blade and have come to two conclusions:
  • The blade edge is perfectly symmetrical when viewed from the side.
  • If you are not looking straight onto the edge of the blade, you get the effects seen in the photo I posted earlier. Sorry.
As Billy said, there may be a difference in coating, but I'm not going to do a blind test. :D

I have had another look under a microscope at the edge of the blade and have come to two conclusions:
  • The blade edge is perfectly symmetrical when viewed from the side.
  • If you are not looking straight onto the edge of the blade, you get the effects seen in the photo I posted earlier. Sorry.
As Billy said, there may be a difference in coating, but I'm not going to do a blind test. :D
You are correct Andreas ..I can see that with the naked eye..I have found the same as you..I have also done this to myself that's how I know..Whether that applies to them all with various coatings I cant be certain but I never take the chance.:)

Billy

Greetings

I personally don't think it makes a sh*ts worth of difference which way up you insert the blades, if the blades Paul are referring to are the Dutch ones on your photo then indeed those are obviously stainless it clearly states as much in any language, the early Krona blades were not.

If Paul is finding the blades poor and you found them great I suspect there is another issue and it is nothing to do with the symmetry of the edge grind, the most logical answer would be edge damage, I fully accept that both you and Paul are very experienced injector users and you both know how easy it is to bugger up the edges removing them and reinserting them into the magazines.

I would add that I have a little experience of injectors myself and have 'buggered up' two or three blades doing just that and at the time being super careful and mindful of how easy it is to do.

Regards
Dick.

Although I have no interest in the outcome (given that I don't have an injector) what does puzzle me is the terminology being used here. People are referring to inserting them upside down which to me seems impossible because the cutting edge would then be up instead of down. I assume therefore that you are referring to the back and front of the blade - and the question is whether it makes a difference if they are loaded back to front.

That's a completely different proposal to upside down I think you'll agree.

It would be pretty obvious if they were loaded back to front. The user would be left shaving with the unsharpened spine of the blade. They're talking about the other way ie is there a proper top and bottom or can it be loaded any way up, obviously as long as the cutting edge if left touching the shavers mug.

Whenever I've had to hand load an injector magazine I've always put em in as they came out. Just in case. so no definitive answer from me to the OP's question.

That's where I disagree - the edge is at the bottom of the blade which has two faces - a front and back. Therefore talk of loading upside down doesn't make sense - to me. YMMV as always.

Greetings

The bottom line is the question of , lets call it an upper and a lower side to an injector blade does not exist unless than for whatever reason they are removed from the loading cartridge and just all laid out on a work surface (as I have done in the past) and loaded back into another cartridge with no regard or thought as to which way up they were when they came out.

I personally think it makes no difference and with modern injector blades that are coated on both sides (to the best of my knowledge) it would only make a difference if the opposite sides of the cutting edges were ground at different angles. If the grind/bevel is symmetrical I just am unable to see how it can make any difference.

As always I declare the caveat of having no more right to be correct than the next man.

Regards
Dick.

To clarify. The blade could be ground like a chisel in which case there is an upside-down orientation as a chisel is sharpened on one side 'down to' the flat side'. OR it could be like a knife - sharpened from both sides to the 'middle' in which case orientation doesn't matter. I believe it is the latter and it looks that way to the naked eye.

Last edited:
I do really wish some of you guys were hired as consultants to the producers of many technical instruction manuals. I can genuinely grasp what you're saying, which is always good.

JohnnyO. o/

Back
Top Bottom