Post Shave Maintenance

I have searched the forum but I have probably not managed to use the correct keywords as I couldn't find the answers, so please forgive me if these questions have been answered before.

After shaving with a traditional SR what are the next steps for maintaining your razor..

I have understood that even during the shave, that one should keep everything but the blade as dry as possible, ie don't wet the pins or scale unnecessarily.
After the shave ensure the razor is clean, remove soap/cream, and dry the blade, inside and outside of scale.

After the post shave initial drying should the blade be oiled or greased after every shave, or only when being stored for for longer than a few days. What oils do you guys use/recommend. I know that some of you have several SRs , what steps do you take to protect the unused/collectables or rarely used ?

What method to use to remove the grease/oil after storage...

Cheers

If you avoid getting the scales and pin area wet there should be no need for cleaning - but, if you do feel it necessary then pass some folded up tissue along the inside scales. Regarding the blade, wipe it on a soft towel and strop before putting it away. I use a strop just for this purpose and add a little Ballistol oil so that the edge picks up a coating as it is being stropped. For longer term storage I apply the same oil (using a special dispenser with a thick wad) and there is no need to remove this before use as Ballistol is skin friendly. This is the type of dispenser - Niwaki.1621851090597.jpeg

Last edited:
If you avoid getting the scales and pin area wet there should be no need for cleaning - but, if you do feel it necessary then pass some folded up tissue along the inside scales. Regarding the blade, wipe it on a soft towel and strop before putting it away. I use a strop just for this purpose and add a little Ballistol oil so that the edge picks up a coating as it is being stropped. For longer term storage I apply the same oil (using a special dispenser with a thick wad) and there is no need to remove this before use as Ballistol is skin friendly. This is the type of dispenser - Niwaki.View attachment 70402

Is that the same Ballistoil that we use for cleaning firearms ? How do you clean it of for the next shave, just a quick wipedown with a soft cloth ?

If it the same Ballistoil, it usually has a pretty strong smell, I love it but my wife doesn't, or is their a variety that doesn't have the smell. The Ballistoil that I have is in aerosol version.

Where did you get that dispenser ?

I was recommended Renaissance Wax, which seems to work really well.

Hi Mark,

Are there any advantages/disadvantages with a wax rather than a more liquid oil. And same question as UKRobb, how do you clean it off for the next shave ?

Cheers

I'm sure UKRob will know better than me, as I haven't used oil unless I'm posting a razor.
I just use the Renaissance wax every couple of months and it seems to protect them well.

Is that the same Ballistoil that we use for cleaning firearms ? How do you clean it of for the next shave, just a quick wipedown with a soft cloth ?

If it the same Ballistoil, it usually has a pretty strong smell, I love it but my wife doesn't, or is their a variety that doesn't have the smell. The Ballistoil that I have is in aerosol version.

Where did you get that dispenser ?
Yes, it’s the one developed in Germany (I believe) for keeping firearms clean - and also for cleaning around wounds. as I said, you don’t need to clean it off before use - I always strop a razor before use so this effectively removes anything from the bevel. If you are still concerned then running the blade under hot water removes anything not removed when stropping. I suspect that any smell that the oil originally had has dissipated over the years I’ve had it, but in any event it’s you who will be closest to the razor rather than your wife. Or am I making the wrong assumption here? My bottle is not an aerosol so I just pour some into the bottom reservoir of the dispenser and it then wicks up for application. I hate the thought of my fingers getting too close to a razors edge so this is a much safer method.

Renaissance Wax is a great product and I would certainly use it on razors if I was putting them away for long term storage. However, it seems like overkill to use on razors that are in regular use especially as a light oil such as Ballistol is perfectly good enough and much easier to remove. I believe Camelia oil works just as well.

Yes, it’s the one developed in Germany (I believe) for keeping firearms clean - and also for cleaning around wounds. as I said, you don’t need to clean it off before use - I always strop a razor before use so this effectively removes anything from the bevel. If you are still concerned then running the blade under hot water removes anything not removed when stropping. I suspect that any smell that the oil originally had has dissipated over the years I’ve had it, but in any event it’s you who will be closest to the razor rather than your wife. Or am I making the wrong assumption here? My bottle is not an aerosol so I just pour some into the bottom reservoir of the dispenser and it then wicks up for application. I hate the thought of my fingers getting too close to a razors edge so this is a much safer method.

Renaissance Wax is a great product and I would certainly use it on razors if I was putting them away for long term storage. However, it seems like overkill to use on razors that are in regular use especially as a light oil such as Ballistol is perfectly good enough and much easier to remove. I believe Camelia oil works just as well.
Thanks Rob,

Until I can get some bottled Balistol I will just spray a little on a soft cloth and wipe it down with that... ( Yes, it will be me that uses that razor but I share the same bathroom ;))...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom