Pork Chops with Mustard Crust

Inspired by Pig Cat's recent contributions, I thought I'd pass on a recipe too. This one is a quick and easy upgrade for pork chops, and is shamelessly stolen from the wonderful Sophie Grigson. Serves 2.

2 pork chops, about 3/4" thick
Oil
Salt 'n' Pepper

For the crust:
1 oz breadcrumbs
1 oz grated strong Cheddar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
A dash of oil.

Heat the oven to 170C; trim the excess fat from the chops. Mix all the crust ingredients together to form a thick paste. Brush the chops with oil and season, then put them in a suitable dish and bake for 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven, turn them over and spread the top sides thickly with the crust mixture. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until browned. Et voila.

The crust keeps the meat tender and moist, and the mustard is by no means overpowering. In common I think with many people here, I like meat to be of good quality and from animals raised in decent conditions; if not I'd just as soon not bother. We are very lucky with our local butcher, and make a point of supporting him.

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:
Sounds good, I'll give it a go! :hungrig

Hang about - in Ollie's "make me laugh" thread you claimed (perhaps for comic effect) to be a Red Sea pedestrian... how does that tally with the eating of flesh from a beast with a cloven hoof? :eek:

Aha, rumbled!! I am indeed of the non-gentile pursuasion, but only by birth. I am an atheist with very few beliefs. One is that I believe in Dawkins, and another is that pork is an absolutely divine meat. :hungrig

No doubt I shall end up believing in :twisted: !!!!

Pig Cat said:
One is that I believe in Dawkins, and another is that pork is an absolutely divine meat. :hungrig

No doubt I shall end up believing in :twisted: !!!!

Indeed - pork is a primary reason I could never countenance Islamism or Judaism - the only worship in my house is at the altar of St. Allan's of Jedburgh :lol: anyone that's tried the beef bacon that they make in Saudi will confirm what a spectacularly bad idea that is (beef bacon)

Boab - we need a vomit smiley....

antdad said:
I like that...would English mustard be okay, I love that with swine.
Yes it's fine, but obviously you need to have robust sinuses. I also wondered about PC's enthusiasm for this dish, but decided to keep stumm and see who dived in first.

Back
Top Bottom