Poorly pets and expensive vets

Just got back from the vets after an expensive visit. After being ill over the weekend and going for a checkup it turns out my cat Alfie has a heart murmur. the scans alone will cost an extra £300! Very sad as we only recently lost his brother to heart issues last year.

Here is a photo of Alfie from when he was feeling a bit better, he is 10 years old and until recently has been a very happy and outgoing chap.
Just thought I had to write this post as it also helps me to process everything instead of just thoughts etc.
Looks like the shave den will have to be slimmed down but in a very worthwhile cause. :(

alfieCat.jpg

Just got back from the vets after an expensive visit. After being ill over the weekend and going for a checkup it turns out my cat Alfie has a heart murmur. the scans alone will cost an extra £300! Very sad as we only recently lost his brother to heart issues last year.

Here is a photo of Alfie from when he was feeling a bit better, he is 10 years old and until recently has been a very happy and outgoing chap.
Just thought I had to write this post as it also helps me to process everything instead of just thoughts etc.
Looks like the shave den will have to be slimmed down but in a very worthwhile cause. :(

alfieCat.jpg
A very worthwhile cause indeed.
I hope Alfie is back to his old self soon.

Paul.

Yes. Vet bills (good grief) although the overheads are high running a vet. Still it's a shock but you need to do your best as pets are family.
We don't have insurance for our cat.

Mates dog swallowed a sock and the bill run to thousands. Vet let them pay monthly.

I know some procedures are charged for every 10mins... Something like £90 so 20mins is £180 plus drugs ect.
That's what I was told.
Scans are charged for. Holding and nursing. All has a price.
Guess they have to work price out some how.
Wish sometimes we humans could get treated so well and so quickly as animals.

Hope cat is OK. Mates cat was similar and only way to get ticker meds in him was to grind up and put in butter on paws.

Just want to say our cat ignores me. He thinks I'm an idiot and just staff. Plays me up as well. Loves the Mrs though and keeps her happy so all good. Cats man.

Another visit to the vets for annual vaccinations and more bills.
Alfie had blood tests today to check his heart, lots of fur also had to be shaved off around his neck to get the samples. (£160)
Next visit will be on Wednesday as they found a couple of teeth that need to come out. (£400-£600)

Here is a photo just after getting back from the vets, very sad liitle chap, think he will spend the rest of the day sleeping as these vet visits are stressful. :(

alfiecat2.jpg

Another visit to the vets for annual vaccinations and more bills.
Alfie had blood tests today to check his heart, lots of fur also had to be shaved off around his neck to get the samples. (£160)
Next visit will be on Wednesday as they found a couple of teeth that need to come out. (£400-£600)

Here is a photo just after getting back from the vets, very sad liitle chap, think he will spend the rest of the day sleeping as these vet visits are stressful. :(

alfiecat2.jpg
Poor little chap - very photogenic though!

Finding a good and trustworthy vet is difficult.
We had an excellent one in London who cared about animals more than about maximizing profits.
We then moved away just a few miles and went to a more local vet.
I could see the ££ signs in his eyes. Told us the cat had to have six teeth pulled for 700 pounds.
I smelled a rat, so we went back to the old vet and she said the teeth needed cleaning and one might just possibly, maybe have to go.
She managed not to pull that tooth (or any others) and charged £120. Many years later all those teeth are still in.
Now in Brighton, we have a good but expensive vet, and I can see those ££ signs again. And they mentioned teeth again...
Old vet in London charged us £1.32 for tablets (probably what they cost), new vet charges £8.
Same tablets. No silver-plated pill dispenser for the extra money... Not any tastier - the cat still hates them - now that be worth extra!
Old vet in London had beat-up old PCs in the practice, the new practice is full of posh iMacs. Go figure.
If it wasn't 90 minutes there and 90 minutes back by car, I'd still go to the vet in London. The cat would object.

All the best to Alfie!

P.S.: Any vet recommendations in Brighton? Ranting makes me think I might be looking again soon...

Back
Top Bottom