Pomades, Pastes, Wax, Etc.

I see tons of these being introduced on various wet shaving vendors' sites in a myriad of scents and just have to ask: is there really a market for all these? I thought that's what an AS or EdT was for, i.e., to smell good. :unsure: I use a cheap Suave hair wax occasionally for formal matters and the VO5 Gray Hair Conditioner other times, but I never thought of getting a scented one as I just can't see the need, let alone trying to find one that matches the AS/EdT of the day. More marketing "snake oil"? :confused: :cautious:

I see tons of these being introduced on various wet shaving vendors' sites in a myriad of scents and just have to ask: is there really a market for all these? I thought that's what an AS or EdT was for, i.e., to smell good. :unsure: I use a cheap Suave hair wax occasionally for formal matters and the VO5 Gray Hair Conditioner other times, but I never thought of getting a scented one as I just can't see the need, let alone trying to find one that matches the AS/EdT of the day. More marketing "snake oil"? :confused: :cautious:
I'd put money on there being a corner of the internet where grown men debate which are the best pomades, pastes and waxes. Scent profile will be a key point of discussion and subject to much argument. Ultimately they'll find common ground when one of their members lets them know about another weird corner of the internet where different grown men debate the merits of £300+ razors and 50+ shaving soap collections are the norm.

I'm in the EdT/EdP camp. I like to think I always smell awesome unless I've farted in the shower.

I'd put money on there being a corner of the internet where grown men debate which are the best pomades, pastes and waxes. Scent profile will be a key point of discussion and subject to much argument. Ultimately they'll find common ground when one of their members lets them know about another weird corner of the internet where different grown men debate the merits of £300+ razors and 50+ shaving soap collections are the norm.

I'm in the EdT/EdP camp. I like to think I always smell awesome unless I've farted in the shower.
Ah I see you've found my wax forum Chris.

What is the best Pomade / Wax / Gel?

It depends ...

The style, look and the feel that you're after can be met by any number of products. For that Ronnie Reagan slick-back look, you'd want a high shine oily pomade. You will get oil all over your pillows and there'll be a time while your head gets used to it and you might get spots. If you've a pomp or a mohican, or something that needs volume or hold then pastes and waxes are the way to go. Back in the punk days, we used anything from sugar water to super glue.

For short hair, I think waxes and pastes are best. For longer hair which doesn't go curly with product, creams or pomades work well. For hair that goes curly with product, pomades can exacerbate that. So, go cream.

Personally, I like Brylcream Cream, which is water-soluble, gives a low-shine hold and can be re-styled with a little water. I have a slick-back floppy quiff, kinda. I don't like it stuck in place.

Take a look at UpperCut: https://uk.uppercutdeluxe.com/ < there's a whole set of products depending upon what you want: water vs oil; strong vs light hold; shiny vs matte look.

... but to answer the original question @Bogeyman - Yes, there's a lot of snakeoil, just as there is in the "beard oil" products. Yeah, yeah! Everything is "artisinal" despite being made in the same factory as every other sourced from the internet and rebadged product. There are a good number of established and legacy brands which have stood the test of time. There are also a number of new producers who have looked at it and determined a gap in the market.

Scented is a nice enough idea, but to be frank ... pomade smells of pomade and that's kinda the point. Just use an EDT or perfume oil if you want to smell of something.

I have big hair

9b56ce9ff10135719d58475853c6dd07--men-curly-hairstyles-trendy-hairstyles.jpg

Yes, I've never found the holy grail of pomades, as you quite rightly state pjgh, it very much depends on hair length, style and type. MS, I have found that Dax has a smell of coconut, is that just me? I do not think pomades personally are meant to be perfumed, there main purpose is to allow hair to be dressed / styled; aftershaves EdT's are there to provide fragrance as far as I am aware.

When I let my hair grow in from its usual #3 buzz I use Trumper's West Indian Extract of Limes Hair Cream. It's light and non-greasy, and perfect for my fine, thinning hair. In the unlikely event of me using any greasy hair dressing SWMBO would put antimacassars on the backs of all our upholstered furniture and probably my pillows in bed, or she might divorce me.o_O

Back
Top Bottom