Pointers on buying vintage razors please

OK, I admit, I am hooked. I am no longer in denial. I have RAD! There, I said it, just don't tell the Wife :D

So, I am now headed down the slippery path of looking at / wanting to buy to try but also to collect vintage razors.

Am currently looking at Gillette Superspeed Red Tips as my first vintage razor purchase. There are a few for sale here and there. The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger when it comes to clicking the buy now or bid button are a few questions, that I would like some help with please :)

My first vintage razor I am buying to definitely use. I've read a few reviews and the red tip appears well regarded. Now, as to condition, some are in original condition, have been used and demonstrate signs of wear. Fair enough, to be expected. Or, some have been refurbished I.e. Re-plated and the red tip painted in and are described as being back to factory standard or as new. So I guess I am asking in a long-winded round about way, which is best- are the re-plated models to be avoided?

Any pitfalls to avoid / your general help, advice and pointers on buying vintage razors sought and much appreciated. As I would be buying the razors to use, care and maintenance advice would also be most helpful. I know I must have a bad case of RAD as already I am thinking of buying 2 of the same model, one to use and the other to put by... :? :lol:

Help and thank you,
Jason

If the razor is for regular use, I'd not get hung up on the condition.

What's more important is the functionality:

- Do the doors open & close smoothly
- When closed do the silo doors sit evenly against the guardbar
- When closed is the gap on both silo doors to bar the same.

Obviously you don't want a complete minger, but the odd bit of plate loss won't hurt.

The question is do you want to look at it or do you want to use it? :?

If you wanna use it, as long as it holds a blade straight and true - it'll do. :)

If you gonna put it in a box and invite all your interesting friends around to sip tizer and eat packets of Monster Munch (that your Mum picked up for you), while looking at your fab-o collection - save up and spend big. :oops:

You pays your money - you takes your chances.

Cue avid the collectors........................... ;)

man of leisure said:
Simple Jason speak to our very own French Blade, he has a very good knowledge and stash of vintage razors. He is a pleasure to deal with, just drop him a PM.
Pete

This. But the Red Tip is a good choice, particularly if you like a fairly aggressive razor. But Max will get you started.

Since you have a particular model in mind I'd go with PMing Sunbury or French Blade and asking them to keep an eye open for a decent specimen for you. As it's one you intend to be using you really just want a clean, workmanlike razor rather than paying a really high price for a collectible model I'm guessing.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy it M8.

JohnnyO. \ :D

As has been said, eBay can be hit or miss, which as far as buying a first vintage may not be ideal. Most BIN prices are too high IMO.
I've had a few misses, and quite a few good hits on eBay, but I now know what to bid, and the details to watch out for.
(I had quite a few misses in the beginning)
It's easy to get carried away with bids, and actually pay over the odds for something that might not be as good as you'd like.

Second thing that has been mentioned, redtips, and a few others vintage are quite in demand, mint ones are not that readily available and command high prices.
(some which are just not worth it.) Just compare prices of Slims & Fatboys on eBay and on here, you'll be surprised by the difference.

Send me or Steve (Sunburryboy93) a PM, and I'm sure we can find you something to get you started for a decent price. :D

Both Steve and I are collectors, we do this for the fun & passion of it, not as a money making venture. (we both still have a day job!) :p

Max

Totally agree with what max has said. You will get far better things from here and good prices with no nasty surprises

Let us know what you are looking for and what you can afford and we can sort you out

Cheers
Steve :D

It's the "no nasty surprises" which appeals to buying from here.

I do take the frequent punt on ebay (usually job lots of terrible photo's or miss-named) and do get the frequent bargain - but I do also get dross which is not salvageable or needs to have time spent on to restore - which I don't mind as it's quite therapeutic.

Back
Top Bottom