Point of Balance

Hi All
I am new to DE shaving and could anyone give me advice on how to hold a razor when shaving. At present I find the point of balance and hold it lightly there with my forefinger and thumb with my other fingers resting lightly also on the handle. I hope I have explained this so you can understand it.
Thanks

It is sometimes recommended to rookies starting out to hold the the razor at the very end of the handle, as if holding a dart you're about to throw. This is to reinforce the maxim of 'making the razor head do the work, not the hand holding it'. Lightest possible pressure with a firm but not forced grip, used to guide the shave not to press the razor head into the skin, but merely to keep the blade - at the correct angle (for you) - against the skin.

I started with holding it like a dart at the base of the razor, however as my technique improved and as my razor rotation grew I moved into holding my razor like antdad and Arrowhead. I prefer it because I feel it gives me more control.

The Merkur Futur helped me improve this grip as it has a really nice balance point and now I can switch between razors like this and a Tech which is quite light.

It's horses for courses though. You might find something better for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom