Plissoft Noir

I am going to make a slight revision to my opinion(s) here. It seems that after more & more usage that IMO the Italian Barber Plissoft Noir may just be a tad too stiff for all 'round usage. The softer Maggard's 22mm black synthetic has more splay and just works better for me with a greater variety of soaps/croaps. That's not to say the PN is worse, but just a better match for harder soaps it appears. After careful scrutiny it appears the PN knot is merely bundled more tightly, hence the stiffness. YMMV.

I've been using the Razorock 400 (Plissoft Noir) for the last ten days and my opinion has hardened on the backbone too. Only the Zenith 27mm surpasses it from the dozen or synths I've tried. Absolutely great for pulverising those hard soaps which need it, but an adaption of technique is needed for softer products. In particular for face lathering, painting rather than swirling is pretty much the only way of using it.

Still a very good brush for the price, the fibres and the ergonomics are great, but as you say, not quite an all-rounder due to the density.

As odd as it may sound, after more usage with hard(er) soaps my PN brush seems as if it is breaking in like a damned real hair brush!! o_O It seems like it is getting softer, i.e., more splay.

As odd as it may sound, after more usage with hard(er) soaps my PN brush seems as if it is breaking in like a damned real hair brush!! o_O It seems like it is getting softer, i.e., more splay.

I have to agree with you. My brush was recently given a ten day continuous workout primarily using Valobra and vintage P160 (the latter being as hard as nails) and there is indeed more splay. This isn't a bad thing imho, up to a point.

It will be interesting to see whether things stabilise or the brush goes on to develop 'brewers droop' o_O

The handle was, at least for my hand, just too long to handle appropriately for my style of lathering. So, I cut mine down to make it more handy. As well, mine now acts no differently than my Maggard 22mm black synthetic. The initial rigidity has gone. Regardless, it's a great shave brush. ;)

cNpeYtp.jpg

Remember, with synthetic brushes color is meaningless as it's merely aesthetic.
Hi!
I find this remark interesting: I observed exactly the opposite, and tend to believe that the coloration of synthetic knots does conventionally signal different (though sometimes only slightly different) fibers. I may be wrong, so I wonder and ask: what's your source?
As for the plissoft - regular and noir - I can state by experience that they do differ, the regular being softer, the noir a little bit more "backboned".
My preference goes to the "noir".

Back
Top Bottom