Please Help

I have been using a merkur HD 34c for about 8 weeks now. While I appreciate my technique still has a lot of room for improvement I've made a conscious effort not to apply too much pressure while guiding the razor. Have watched all of Mantic59's videos on technique.

I got a sample pack of blades from connaught and have noticed big differences in the performance of some blades. So far I've used merkur, astra, gillette 7 oclock yellow, persona red, supermax super stainless and Israeli super platinum.

Some shaves have been good others have been poor. I only use a blade for 3 shaves maximum, but blades that have performed poorly were only used for 1 two pass shave. I only use cade soap.

I use light pressure to keep the razor to my face and always shave in the same direction 2 passess with the grain and 1 xgrain, however some blades seem to drag and bounce even when going with grain.

Is this other peoples experience with blades that don't suit them?

So far the 7 oclock blade is the only one that I've been satisfied with great performance for 3 shaves, the astra and Israeli super platinum were OK. The others were tried once then binned.

Any help would be much appreciated.

John

Pick a blade type and stick with it until you get your lather sorted out would be my advice...

I think from what you describe that your lather doesn't have enough slip - not seeing the lather I don't know whether it's too dry or too wet. Worth a look over of some of the lathering tutorials I think.

I've not tried Cade soap yet (just bought some today) but when I started out I really struggled to lather hard soaps correctly, I found it much easier to lather creams. Maybe consider picking up a cream and see how you get along with that, some Palmolive or Real Shaving Company cream from the high street or Proraso or any of the 3Ts online.

Think H/Monster & Y/Jim have maybe helped identify at least part of the prob. You just don't seem (for whatever reason) to get the degree of "slippyness" you need in your lather. I'd suggest maybe picking up an inexpensive soap or cream from your nearest supermarket or High St chemist , see how you get on with it. If the Cade is the only soap you're using then a comparison with something else could be helpful. And as Jim said, creams often make for an easier lather, in the beginning at least.

Good Luck.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Try a blade called Gillette extra Bleue blades..I say this because I also dont like some blades..as some actually "flex" on the contours of your face..while others are "stiff" and go well to the contours of your face..these blades aernt much money and are good n stiff and work well...there was a blade called "Gillette Swede"...they were expensive but highly sought after for their smoothness and long lasting...now no longer made..they will be missed.. :cry:

Blades

Attachments

• HR_409-024-00_gillette_bleue.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 135
Even a poor blade shouldn't drag and skip with the grain, so yes, I think some experimentation with lather is in order. That said, from the list it would be the 7 o'clocks which got my vote too.

Blades: I agree - the Bleues are pretty good by current standards ... but you just had to go and mention Swedes, didn't you? I'm trying not to cry into my whisky here. :cry:

Lets not complicate things even further by talking about blades that are no longer easily available.

Choose one blade, the 7 o'clocks would be a good choice.
Pick a cream that is easy to lather from the high street, Palmolive, Body Shop Maca Root, RSC or Ingrams.
Map your beard to make sure you're shaving with the grain.
Do two WTG passes only.

Stick with this for a week or two and then see where you're at.

and remember "no pressure" means no ADDED EXTRA pressure - just the weight of the razor.

Don't attempt to "lift" or counterbalance the razor's head - let the full weight of it pivot down on the handle, that's pressure enough.

All "no pressure" means is there's no need to mash the blade into your face with the sort of force some people use on a cartridge razor.

Many thanks to you all I'll try using a cream. I was using the cade with a boar brush and wilko quattro titanium before I started looking at DE shaving. Have to say my lathering is better now than prior to starting on the DE journey. I dip the soap in hot water now and use a badger brush. I don't think that my lathers are consistent so will look at lathering as at times it is either too dry or too wet.

you've beaten me to my usual advice for beginners :roll:

jumping from Mach3\Quattro with canned gel\foam in one leap is for me too much in one go

i usually tell people to stick with the razor (better with a Sensor or such) they have and get practising with a brush and a soap or cream
then after mastering that (won't take long) move to a DE

Cade is like Boots soap so it shouldn't be a problem but if you want idiot proof to start with get a Palmolive stick or some Tabac

you are right about your blades though, i'd only use the 7 o'clocks from that bunch but it's horses for courses

get that lather up to scratch first

Back
Top Bottom