Pins and washers

I've found micro fastener nuts and bolts but I would be interested to know where one can get pins and washers for re-pinning razors.

Well washers mainly as I can get brass rod in various diameters from model shops but none have corresponding washers.

Alternatively it would be good to know what other activities may use them.

Model shops are the place for the rod, I'll leave you to Google that.

Washers: Microfasteners. I'm well stocked at the moment thanks to Neil, but this is something which would work well as a group buy: anybody else interested? Friction washers are a problem, and I'd like to invite comments and suggestions on this one. I know a man who can solve this one, and I could keep that to myself, but it would be far nicer to either a) club together to buy him a suitable inducement to produce a batch, or b) come to some agreement amongst ourselves to make the tooling and run a few off as and when they're required.

Jeltz said:
Andy what about these beads from fly fishing supplies, they could be fettled......possibly :geek:
Well volunteered that man! I suspect you may have resources of patience well beyond the norm :lol:

So far I've used some Dovo type washers which Neil supplied: a little oversized for the outside of a razor, but fine for inside. There's a pic in the Myers thread. The problems are that the hole is a bit big, they're too thick and have to be hammered out, and I've nearly run out :cry: What suggested itself to me is making a pair of punches and dies, and manually stamping them out of brass shimstock, the trick being to take out the holes first, then to find a way to register the blanked out strip in the second jig so that the washers wind up with the hole in the middle, rather than cockeyed. Very low tech and easy enough for an engineer: a bit more difficult for the likes of me but achievable I should think. The thing is, for the amount of aggravation involved, it would only be worth doing if there was a demand for a largish quantity, more than I can see myself using in a lifetime, so it depends on how much interest there is. I must admit that I'm rather hoping that Neil will chime in with something simple and obvious rather than going down that route.

I use Andy's method!

I have a jewellers punch set: a sold steel block with a slot cut in the middle and a series of holes of different diameters drilled through it. It has a set of flat topped punches that just fit in the holes. It is intended to produce circular plates of various diameters to use in enamelling (which I did in my foundation year of college - many (gulp!) years ago!), but if you get thin enough shim stock and pre-drill centre holes it makes good friction washers. You can also vary the thickness of the washers by using different shim stock, to even-up a blade by using different thickness friction washers on each side of it. Expensive (and I have just tried googling it to see where one can be had but all I keep coming up with are dapping sets - not suitable) and low-tech and with my present amount of experience only 3 out of 5 (on a good day!) are properly centred. It is a bit of a chore to use so I wouldn't consider being a supplier.

I have pretty much given up the use of the Dovo washers - just too thick and as Andy points out the centre hole is a tad too wide.

A better success rate could be had by someone with a mini metal lathe, I would think - just drill the centres, over-size punch the washers, put them on a spindle that tightens (like the mini nuts and bolts from micro-fasteners) and sand then to an even diameter while spinning. I have done this with an over-sized wood lathe so I know it would work, but the wood lathe is a bit of a cumbersome beast to use. The last time I turned out a batch that had to be precise I pressed the drill-press into use - much more convenient.

If you can't get one of those die kits, even a paper punch will knock out passable disks out of thin shim brass, and a wad punch set would get you different diameters.

Regards,
Neil

Well seen this site on SRP today a bit diffrent from usual pins but look good and not to pricey either.

http://www.razor-handles.de

Look at the fitting section if you have same thought as me brass fiction washers come with the sets. i have a price list if anyone interested.

also ordered some to try out more than i need to use right now so when the arrive can give out a few sets for people to try out if they want.

Interesting link, thanks pedro: I'm interested in the price list, certainly. That rubber band trick has been duly noted and stolen! I'd very much like to have a closer look at these.

Possibly these are the same pins which Olivia sells at the bottom of this page. I don't see any friction washers in either case though - maybe we're at crossed purposes here? What Neil and I are are referring to are the thin, somewhat oversized ones which go inside the scales to provide a bearing surface for the razor tang: inessential but desirable.

I thought jeltz was looking for both as i could not find the outer washers
Well the friction washers come with th sets i have bought microfastners before and they came with washers that are too big for the outside. The only problem is they are ba sizes and 1.6mm as ba11 that no one does but a ba12 is 1.4mm or ba10 is 1.8mm. these are available from

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modellersmate.co.uk/nuts_&_bolts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.modellersmate.co.uk/nuts_&_bolts.htm</a><!-- m -->

you would have to contact them for the outer diameter.
I also have been lead to belive the above company might manafacture these componets so may be able to do special order

The prices for the first link was 11.5 usd for 16 pins (8 brass + 8 silver)

7.5 usd for 8 pins bulls-eye or cats-eye. This come in a couple of diffrent outer diameters.

shipping was 4.5 usd

Well I was looking into pins and washers on the basis that I may want to do some more involved restoration work. As such its best to know where to can get the bets before I start but at the moment I don't actually need any :)

Well my pins and stuff arrived from the site mentioned before i had actually forget about them. They look real good and came with nice thin friction washers. also came with the plate seen in his site for cutting pins to the right length and protecting scales while peening. And he put in two extra sets of pins of diffrent kinds and what looks like brass inlays. As i said if anyone wants a set to see and try pm me as i now have more than i require for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom