Photo of the day

I love dry stane dykes. There is a new wall about a mile from me next to a rugby club built in the style of a dry stone wall.
But due to HSE regs and the use of cement it looks like someone flung cement and river pebbles against a fence.
It looks like shit and when the frost gets inbetween the stone it's going to blow apart. Its been two years so far. Oh and did I say it looks shit. :sick:
I'm not a brickie but I've built better looking stone walls myself. I'm just not fast enough at it to make a living out if it.:cool:
It's an art drystane dyking and hard graft. It's truly amazing when you see the stane dykes running away up over the hillsides and to think that some were built well over a 100 years ago

Design and form.were much better back then

This is the bus I used to take to school

140 route ran from Harrow Weald to Heathrow Central

If you told the clippie you were only going two stops, they would let you off!
Otherwise a regular child's fare was 2P !
The Routemaster, my favourite bus of all time! I spent hours on the number 13 on it's route around North London as a kid.
I wanted to buy one and live in it but life gets in the way of mad dreams like that! :)

Paul.

When I lived in Lancashire as a boy it was possible to catch buses to everywhere even the most obscure hamlets. That system seems to have collapsed as car purchase and subsidies have dried up. In my area of the Eden valley east of the M6 public transport is zero apart from a couple of volunteer bus services for pensioners and the Settle Carlisle railway with approx 4 trains each way per day. Imagine my amazement when I visited friends in the Sierra Nevada mountains of Spain. Every village had a bus service sometimes several buses a day.

Ravenglass which still has 2 stations!!

Ravenglass Boat 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom