Photo of the day

I see a lot of building code violations with those connecting stairs.

I see a lot of building code violations with those connecting stairs.

W. - I know mate - the place was a goddam' health and safety nightmare. ha ha. If you were prone to vertigo - I wouldn't go near a Tibetan gompa. It looks - like they all do - that someone has thrown a random selection of building materials at a cliff face and waited to see what stuck. It's a nightmare in the dark - and we had head torches to help. Where are the hand rails? The public lighting? Wheel chair access? Trip hazards aplenty. I don't think there is an equivalent Tibetan phrase for building control. Mind you - it's stayed up there for over 700 years. Yours - I.

Yeah, good call. Not exactly a rigid adherence to standard building codes. Notice the absence of a 4 foot landing for every 12 feet of stair run. And, golly, what were they thinking with that stair to tread ratio?

View attachment 30756

Palma - Majorca - Leica and film. Yours - I.

@Helveticum @Barry Giddens
Was this a posed or a spontaneous shot? P. After studying this picture for some time I have come to the conclusion that it was a spontaneous shot and your partner was engrossed by something going on to her left, so engrossed she has forgotten about her recently lit cigarette. Very interesting, I love pictures like this because it makes the viewer think about what's going on. P.

Last edited:
Was this a posed or a spontaneous shot? P.

P. - interesting question. That's my other half - but the picture wasn't posed or set up - so I suppose spontaneous. My camera was sitting next to me and I took the picture as she was looking away. I liked the shape. She looked back at me when she realised I had done this - the next picture on the roll is her looking directly at me - but I don't think it's as good a picture as this one. Either way - looking at the detritus on the table - that was a generous lunch. Bar Coto - is our second favourite restaurant in Palma. Run by German lesbians - all to the good. I recommend it to you if you are ever there. Yours - I.