Photo of the day

@Helveticum - evening H. - Malaga I think - my take on the letters between Abelard and Heloise - which I was reading at the time. My partner considers it faintly ridiculous that I even have a category in my mind entitled 'my favourite medieval philosophers' but Peter Abelard is high on the list. Not as good as Duns Scotus though. Leica and film.

Yours - I.

@Barry Giddens

Great image Iain. Everyone should have a favourite medieval philosopher.

Fantastic!

@Helveticum - evening H. - After Abelard and Heloise - street photography as interpretive. A deconstructed elephant - work with me. A building site in Palma de Mallorca. I think technically I probably broke into the place. A bit of fence climbing - no bolt cutters involved. There was nobody around so it wasn't an issue. I think it was about 6 in the morning - sun up anyway. Beautiful light. Around dawn on a Sunday morning, which in any back street in any Spanish city is the quietest part of the week.

Leica and film. Yours - I.

@Barry Giddens @William Dobson

That's actually a little hypnotic Iain.

Far out man!

Yes I see it Iain. Did it strike you immediately when you were in situ?

B - no to be honest It didn't until editing the film. I obviously liked it enough to take its picture - I think the shape initially and the fact it seemed to be framed already for you. When I get my film back from the lab - the negatives are in sheets and there is a cd with scans. I start with looking at the negs on a light-box with a lupe. Upside down. This may sound odd but it's a technique I first heard mentioned by HCB. It really works if you are editing your own pictures - it breaks the link from what you saw at the time and allows you to neutrally - or as much as possible - look at the merits of composition, movement or shape - whatever. I'll attach an example. So - I have to admit that I - literally and figuratively - failed to see the elephant in the room. Haha haha.

Madrid - Have a look at this picture for a bit and then turn it through 180 degrees and look again. You'll see what I mean about looking at your negs upside down. It's a completely different picture. Yours - I.

@Helveticum

That's very interesting Iain. And I literally see what your saying. Is it because we are somehow programmed to look at content rather than composition, say, or contrast? When I flipped the photo I certainly took more notice of the texture of the image. The shapes within shapes.

That's really nice.

@Olie29 - my post inspired by yours.

Calligraphy - much softer but much the same. A detail from Madrid - a spot that is reworked frequently. You need to check often to see what's going on. I agree completely with @William Dobson - some of the best contemporary art you are going to see can be called graffiti. Tags and calligraphy - these are co-joined concepts for me, stencils, whatever. On the right of this picture - what can you conjure with a single line? Have a look at classical Arabic calligraphy - particularly the Kufic script. The latter is angular like the work you have shown. It reads right to left. Generally it's only used for Koranic references but it's a beautiful script. Yours - I.

@Barry Giddens - another good example of a picture that only showed its value up-side down.