Photo of the day

@Digimonkey incredible. My younger brother is out in Thailand at the moment and is doing a lot of stuff similar, some without prior planning as per your stay in a cave with the Sahdus. I'm deeply jealous of your experiences. Keep them coming!

Thank you - adventure is where you find it. I wish your brother well. The story I told tonight is I think in opposition to the risk averse culture that seems to be the norm these days. You need to put yourself up for these things. Take a punt, trust your instincts. Go off road - definitely go off Google Maps. Yours - I.

Fantastic!

A short walk in the Himalayas - day 6 - journey's end.

None the worse off for a night in the cave - a bit stiff perhaps and frankly starving - it was a spectacularly beautiful morning that lifted our spirits. We gained our destination Khirganga without further incident. First thing, get somewhere to stay. Indoors - with bedding. A mattress of some form would be a boon but bedding was more important. We got the former and not the latter. Mind you a wooden floor after mud was a step up in the comfort stakes. Bottom right - that'll do us a treat!

Next thing - food. Let's check out the options - ah, did I say options plural? Option singular -

No problem - I like lentil dhal and fresh roti. Washed down with gallons of chai. Just as well - that's all you could have.

I love being in the mountains - I'm never happier. The sky is just a better shade of blue - deeper. No light pollution I guess - the stars were unbelievable at night for the same reason. To sit and watch the light change over the higher peaks - the clouds moving and shifting. I could do that all day - every day - without getting bored.

Different moods -

So - during our journey, Callum and I did actually recover enough of our drunken planning conversation to remember why we were here. We had read about the hot springs in Khirganga - sitting soaking in perfect temperature bath water surrounded by awesome scenery.

Job done. It was all worth it. A trip that paid us back doubly for everything it took out of us.

So - that's it. I was going to do a post of portraits from this trip - but I'm sick of looking at my own pictures to be honest. Maybe some time in the future. Thank you for reading, looking and putting up with my indulgence. I hope you enjoyed - at least - some of it - yours - I.

@Barry Giddens @Benz3ne @udrako @PickledNorthern @Blademonkey @Helveticum @AnthH @Number Six @patw

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing your Himalayan adventure an enjoyable read with fabulous photography.

Cheers

Pat

You have just won the internet story telling pictorial of the decade. Thank you for sharing. Make sure you tag me when the next one starts. [emoji1]

Superb travelogue Iain. Thank you for indulging us!

@Digimonkey - beyond words. I'm so glad you did take pictures as they definitely paint more than a thousand [words] in each case. Lentil dhal is great stuff, my grandma makes a mean one! Probably not up to the 'traditional' standards but it's the best I've had. Entirely unsweetened as it should be with the creamy starchiness which is just so homely.
Very jealous of your ventures, even if they did appear touch-and-go at times!

Wayne - thank you - I'm really glad if you enjoyed some of the pictures. I hope you are doing okay mate? Yours - Iain.