Pet Insurance for dogs

As a family we are first time dog owners. A 11 week old Dachshund stormed into our lives 3 weeks ago. Bloody wonderful dog.

We got 4 weeks Petplan insurance FOC from the vets when he had his first vaccination. Pet Insurance is a brave new world to us. Wondering if you, the gentry, have any advice on policy types or respectable companies?

Many thanks, Richard

Well, @Glen_Lee I am just going through my 1st ever claim in 12yrs, my poor boy is going through a bad patch. All is in order with his vaccinations and checkups, all bills up until now have just been paid without a claim or complaint by me, however, as he coughed once in 2018 ( he didn't, it was a description used by the vet to describe some reflux he has) the insurance assessor has said he is not covered as he has shown he has had a "cronic" condition before this years policy started. The vet is now in contact with them to try to get a reconsideration as he has a recently developed/diagnosed serious heart condition.
My advice, don't use Trent pet insurance, in fact I would go as far to say, set up an account and put the money away each month in the "dogs insurance fund" ensure he gets regular checks ups.
Insurance companies = footpads.
I know I am a bit biased, it's just as well I can afford to pay for his treatment, they gladly take your money then do not like to hand it back.

Last edited:
My advice, don't use Trent pet insurance, in fact I would go as far to say, set up an account and put the money away each month in the "dogs insurance fund" ensure he gets regular checks ups.
That is what my wife does for her two horses. She insured many years ago and discovered that it was all a scam. One hit and it is gone. If a horse damaged a leg....after a claim ....only the other 3 legs were covered. So with normal activity as more bits were claimed for less of the horse was insured ....but the premiums kept going up. Our dogs are on Pet Plan which gives a discount on their yearly vacs except for Kennel Cough which is the one required to house them in kennels if we ever get round to going on holiday.

That is what my wife does for her two horses. She insured many years ago and discovered that it was all a scam. One hit and it is gone. If a horse damaged a leg....after a claim ....only the other 3 legs were covered. So with normal activity as more bits were claimed for less of the horse was insured ....but the premiums kept going up. Our dogs are on Pet Plan which gives a discount on their yearly vacs except for Kennel Cough which is the one required to house them in kennels if we ever get round to going on holiday.
Our Local Vet used to do a "Vacs for life" plan for a 1 off payment, basically if the dog lived for more than 5 yrs it was free after that. Both dogs have this in place. They have always been insured, although for us it was more a lost or stolen backup, i really do not mind paying, they are my responsibility after all. The vet asked in passing about the insurance as we were discussing what we need to do ie Heart scan, blood tests and X-ray.
Therefore i claimed as it was going to cost a coin or 2. I think we have been with this company for about 4yrs.
I now believe they are just scammers with a Govt. license to do so.

Our 14 year old terrier bitch has been insured on PetPlan, who have paid for some medicines, and haven't been problematic. Otherwise I don't think we've had any large claims, and in fact we've paid for some things ourselves rather than claim and thus increase the premium. The latest premium quote was considerably increased (understandably because of her age, but I suspect there are other factors at work) to about £70 p.m., and we've decided to stop it and pay ad hoc costs, if such be required.

As others here, my own view of insurers of all sorts is that many, including supposedly-reputable long-standing companies, are basically shysters who exist to take premiums and then deny claims on any specious grounds they can dig up, interpret or otherwise employ.

Find out the average cost of a full cover pet plan and put that money in a separate bank account and fingers crossed you won't need it but if you do you have the money put to one side, these insurance plans for pets are a huge scam.
A vet told me this!!!!

Paul.

Last edited:
Not a dog but I took out petplan cover for my kitty the other day, like yourself I got four weeks free

Tip if you go with petplan make sure you go through online instead of the phone you'll get a discount and save a few quid too

Tbh I'm sceptical about pet insurance but thing is a bit like when I stopped smoking I said I'll put so and so amount at the side every month but for me it just never happens, so I just thought better off with the insurance but saying that I know insurances try to wiggle their way out of any claims

Back
Top Bottom