Personna Med Prep

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
Are these blades very expensive or am i looking in the wrong place (ebay)
when i say expensive i just mean in comparison to other blades we use which are all pretty similar give or take a couple o bob.

To my finding they are a bit more on expensive side (maybe it’s just scarcity of sources for it)…. A while ago was looking around for them since I do want to give them a go, but couldn’t find any at more reasonable price tbh …

Are these blades very expensive or am i looking in the wrong place (ebay)
when i say expensive i just mean in comparison to other blades we use which are all pretty similar give or take a couple o bob.

Two points: first, the Med Preps are merely the exact same blade as regular USA made Personnas (not Israeli nor German!), but have gone through the extra (and needless for our purposes) step of sanitization for medical use. Second point; at best they shave just as good as a modern Gillette, but not better.

Two points: first, the Med Preps are merely the exact same blade as regular USA made Personnas (not Israeli nor German!), but have gone through the extra (and needless for our purposes) step of sanitization for medical use. Second point; at best they shave just as good as a modern Gillette, but not better.
@Bogeyman , for you, maybe. Not for Me, they are my top blade, smooth, comfortable, good longevity and knock most other blades out of the park, especially the Polsilver that everyone raves about, absolutely rubbish for me.
Now then, they are supposed to be the same as a Wizamet, again for me no way. The Wizamet is another blade I can use and totally different to Polsilvers,
As always with everything shave related - YMMV.

I'd recommend buying both of those blades from a UK seller who has them in stock and seeing whether they are the same or similiar and whether they are worth buying in larger quantities.

The Lab Blue can be bought for about £15-20 for a 100 shipped, the Med Prep is quite a bit more expensive. Shaving.Ie seems to have one of the better prices or around £40 or so for a 100.

I've only used the Personna Lab Blue not the Med Prep. Some say it's the same blade, others say there's a slight difference between the Lab Blue and the Med Prep.

From what I have noticed, I think those like myself and Bogeyman who largely use vintage Gillette razors, we seem to favour modern made Gillette blades. A quick look at the SOTD section and some hits with the Med Prep are ones when it was paired with modern razors.

Of course any blade can be used with any razor but IMO some combinations produce results more favourable than others, but it's about finding the one which works your own skin and razors.

I don't think I've ever sorted out which of these blades are Med Prep and which Lab Prep (aka Lab Blues). Some years ago, I bought a box of 100 Lab Prep Personna Made in USA blades from (I think) Connaught, which produce a decent, but not exceptional, shave. My recollection is that they were an expensive purchase which, given my Suffolk parsimony, probably explains why I still have about 80 left. Again, a YMMV moment, but I'm just as happy using the Personna Platinums in the 10-blade plastic dispensers; when I do use anything Personna, that is.

I'd recommend buying both of those blades from a UK seller who has them in stock and seeing whether they are the same or similiar and whether they are worth buying in larger quantities.

The Lab Blue can be bought for about £15-20 for a 100 shipped, the Med Prep is quite a bit more expensive. Shaving.Ie seems to have one of the better prices or around £40 or so for a 100.

I've only used the Personna Lab Blue not the Med Prep. Some say it's the same blade, others say there's a slight difference between the Lab Blue and the Med Prep.

From what I have noticed, I think those like myself and Bogeyman who largely use vintage Gillette razors, we seem to favour modern made Gillette blades. A quick look at the SOTD section and some hits with the Med Prep are ones when it was paired with modern razors.

Of course any blade can be used with any razor but IMO some combinations produce results more favourable than others, but it's about finding the one which works your own skin and razors.
i just wouldn’t pay that price
£40 for 100
no chance no matter how good they are.
As far as i’m concerned there isn’t much better than the two Gillette Super slims, London Bridge & Gillette Blues.
there’s plenty more i could mention but these 4 were my most recent.
i can’t remember exactly the price but i’m sure i paid less than a tenner for 100 superslims

£40 for 100
As far as i’m concerned there isn’t much better than the two Gillette Super slims, London Bridge & Gillette Blues.
i can’t remember exactly the price but i’m sure i paid less than a tenner for 200 superslims now that’s a bargain

I think the new batch of Gillette blades including the ones you mention seem to set the benchmark, and can be bought a 100 for less than a £10.

The new Minora Stainless is excellent as well.

£40 for 100
i can’t remember exactly the price but i’m sure i paid less than a tenner for 100 superslims
Some people would, some people would not, just as some people would not pay more than £100 for any razor, there are plenty of people that will! Soaps, don't get me started on soaps but you can see where I'm going, it's up to each of us to decide if something is too expensive for us alone and leave it there.
Enjoy your shaves. :)

Paul.

Some people would, some people would not, just as some people would not pay more than £100 for any razor, there are plenty of people that will! Soaps, don't get me started on soaps but you can see where I'm going, it's up to each of us to decide if something is too expensive for us alone and leave it there.
Enjoy your shaves. :)

Paul.
And never a truer word spoken

Back
Top Bottom