Pears soap for shaving with while travelling

Not sure why anyone would take ordinary soap on holiday with them unless staying on a campsite, as hotels have soap in the rooms, unless staying in some ropey doss hole in Kings Cross or something, where the lack of soap is the least of your problems… When off on my travels, if staying a night or two, I take a cheap shaving cream like Palmolive or Arko, a small amount of decanted Proraso pre-shave, a cheap brush like a Yaqi synthetic, a cheap Turkish copper bowl, alum block, a tuck of blades, a razor guaranteed not to do me any damage like a Muhle R89, and some decanted balm. If staying more than a few days, I’ll end up taking two or three razors (as I’m indecisive) and maybe some better quality gear, depending on the chances of things getting damaged or lost. And some aftershave if the other half is with me! Actually, if I’m staying a few days I end up taking too much shaving stuff and not having enough room for other essentials….

Not sure why anyone would take ordinary soap on holiday with them unless staying on a campsite, as hotels have soap in the rooms, unless staying in some ropey doss hole in Kings Cross or something, where the lack of soap is the least of your problems… When off on my travels, if staying a night or two, I take a cheap shaving cream like Palmolive or Arko, a small amount of decanted Proraso pre-shave, a cheap brush like a Yaqi synthetic, a cheap Turkish copper bowl, alum block, a tuck of blades, a razor guaranteed not to do me any damage like a Muhle R89, and some decanted balm. If staying more than a few days, I’ll end up taking two or three razors (as I’m indecisive) and maybe some better quality gear, depending on the chances of things getting damaged or lost. And some aftershave if the other half is with me! Actually, if I’m staying a few days I end up taking too much shaving stuff and not having enough room for other essentials….
If I was travelling light then the Palmolive, brush, razor and blades would suffice me.
If you don't completely rinse off the Palmolive after shaving, you obviate the need for balm.
It's the same with hair conditioner - if you rinse it off too thoroughly then there was no point in using it.
Oh, and I agree about taking a mild razor.

Not sure why anyone would take ordinary soap on holiday with them unless staying on a campsite, as hotels have soap in the rooms.
The reason been is, certain soaps dry my skin, whereas Dove soap (as I decided to try the Dove soap rather than Pears on the previous pages) does not, also I can wash with this and shave with it. Also with the Dove soap (with it having moisturises in it) even after rinsing my face it leaves it nice and soft, pretty much as if I had used a shave balm. And lastly the Dove soap is really cheap as well.

Also, the wash bag I have is small, and there is no way I would be able to fit brush, shaving soap in, even a shaving stick. The bag is full to its brim now and only just closes now.

I was trying the Dove soap method out a month or so back with my Blackland Birdbird, and it went really well, no nicks, weepers or irritation. Admittedly I need to keep re-applying the soap on the face on some passes, but still plenty slick enough to give me a damn close shave.

I've also tried the Dove soap with my Rex Konsul, Karve G plate, Executive Shaving Outlaw, and all were the same experience. So I see little reason to buy a new washbag/bigger wash bag, to then enable me to take more shaving stuff (brush, shaving soap, shaving bowl).

Simple or ordinary doesn't mean a soap is bad or unsuitable for shaving.

Look at Martin de Candre Shaving Soap for an example. The ingredients are Stearic Acid, Aqua, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, and Aroma.

It's basically just stearic acid and coconut oil. Pretty much every "good" artisan vegan soap out now owes their start to this easily reverse-engineered soap ingredient list.

Tube of Trumper’s plus the matching skin food, Simpsons Chubby 2 and a damn good razor. When I go away on holiday, I want to feel my absolute pampered best so I’ll use the poshest gear I’ve got. Apart from that, I rarely travel. Travel? That’s like uh, going to the shops, aye? Naw, don’t do that much.

Matron. MATRON! Where’s the ruddy menace gone now? Ah, there you are my dear. The yellow pils, if you please. And could you remove the rubber tube and steel funnel? Can’t travel with that hanging out, what, what.

Tube of Trumper’s plus the matching skin food, Simpsons Chubby 2 and a damn good razor. When I go away on holiday, I want to feel my absolute pampered best so I’ll use the poshest gear I’ve got. Apart from that, I rarely travel. Travel? That’s like uh, going to the shops, aye? Naw, don’t do that much.

Matron. MATRON! Where’s the ruddy menace gone now? Ah, there you are my dear. The yellow pils, if you please. And could you remove the rubber tube and steel funnel? Can’t travel with that hanging out, what, what.
crazy stanley kubrick GIF

FYI, i have taken to using Johnsons Baby Soap to wash my face pre-shave and it is as good or better than any pre-shave product i have tried for softening skin and stubble. Really makes a positive difference to shave quality.

Apropos travel, you could put a little shave cream into one of those sqeezy silicon re-useable travel tubes if you really wanted to save space. I have used them for many years for various gloops when travelling and the screw-off wide mouth makes them a doddle to fill and clean out.

Paul Daniels bought the last one. There are small pieces of Debbie in each compartment. You're gonna like it, but not a lot.
Matron has something similar which she calls Pandora’s box. I told her it wasn’t Pandora’s, it was Matron’s. That box should certainly never, never, ever be opened! Not again, please God, not again.

An entire compartment devoted to dentistry but there’s only one tool in it - a 2lb lump hammer! And not so much lovely lotions as perverted potions - homemade horse tranquillisers anyone? I also now know why she’s gotten interested in the garden all of sudden. Foxglove & Monkshood herbal tea anyone? Once tried, never tried again. Some giant hogweed eye drops? Bring a tear to a glass eye, they would! Rusty, reusable syringes, over a mile of rubber tubing, assorted funnels. flensing knives and bone saws.

And a hatchet to ward off unwanted sexual advances, she says. For hunting down poor buggers like me to bend (over) to her evil will, more like.

There’s even a false bottom containing a long wooden cylindrical object with a bulbous end. Strangely, it’s attached to leather harness like thing. No idea what that could be for…

Back
Top Bottom