Pears soap for shaving with while travelling

Pears imo is fine as pre shave or even the second or third pass but that's pushing it if you've got coarse thick hair like me, of course like anything in this game YMMV

After watching a video online of someone shaving with a bar of Dove soap, and also my partner uses Dove to shave her legs and armpits, and she tells me she gets good results, I am going it a try in a few days to see how I get on, before going on our next holiday.

I will post back on here with the outcome.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, it's much appreciated and plenty to think about.

A shave oil might be of use if you really don't have the space?

Generally, a decent sized washbag is big enough to hold your shaving gear as well as shower gel, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste

Alternatively, don't shave while away and enjoy mowing it down when you're back home?

I have shaved with Pears soap for the same reason you have described. Works fine. Not as good as a proper shave soap, but perfectly useable.

That's good to know, really appreciate the help :)

I'm going to try using a bar of Dove soap that my partner has in the bathroom cupboard, which I've seen getting used online with good results. I figured it's pointless getting a bar of Pears soap if the Dove bar soap works fine. I was only going to choose the Pears, as it's pretty much an all glycerine soap, and it's easily obtainable.

I've toured on a motorbike and that's pretty tight on space,

I do have to say I covered thousands touring Europe on a motorbike year after year and never really found space for shaving gear too much of an issue. Just squeezed them wherever there was space to squeeze them.

Now take a lady on your journey and then space becomes tighter and the picture changes. A pair of undies and a blade would be about it.

When i travel the priority pack for me quite honestly is a Gillette Fusion, and some King of Shaves gloop in a tube and a small brush.

Squeezed in alongside is a DE so i can have a decent shave if i have the time and i aint on a wobbly plane or train.

Just to come back and update this post:

I finally tried out today, the Dove bar soap I mentioned in my post the other day.

The shave went very well. I did a with the grain pass and then an across the grain pass, and spent around five minutes on the shave (which is what I typically did with the electric shaver trying to get a decent shave).

The Dove soap was plenty slick enough for the shave. I wet the face and then rubbed the bar on my face till I could see the whiskers had collected the soap. I then rubbed my hands over it, to built it up a bit.

The shave was plenty smooth enough and I ended the shave with no nicks, cuts, weepers or any irritation. The soap did lack the residual slickness that I get from my tubs of shaving soap, which is to be expected, but it was easy enough to grab the Dove again and apply a little more.

All in all, I know now that this will suit me fine when on holiday.

Thanks for all the help received, it's much appreciated.

I know this is an older thread, but you all know Pear's was the inventor of the shave stick, right? It was the exact same stuff they sold in bar form. The reformulated version (post 2009) doesn't work quite as well, but it still works okay as a shave soap.

Doesn't hold a candle to modern shave soaps, but it WAS sold as a shave soap to all your great grandfathers in the 1800's..

I know this is an older thread, but you all know Pear's was the inventor of the shave stick, right? It was the exact same stuff they sold in bar form. The reformulated version (post 2009) doesn't work quite as well, but it still works okay as a shave soap.

Doesn't hold a candle to modern shave soaps, but it WAS sold as a shave soap to all your great grandfathers in the 1800's..
Very interesting I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

Doesn't hold a candle to modern shave soaps

That's accurate to me , so why use bar soap to shave when you don't have to. A shave stick or even half a shave stick and a good brush in a brush tube would take up little space. Building a nice lather on the face to shave comfortably, pleasurably and effectively is achieved with no struggle. Not saying someone is wrong for shaving with face or body soap while travelling but why when you don't have to. Too much guys just relegate their worst shaving gear for travelling when it's not necessary to suffer a shave on the road. Hot water, a good badger brush and a half a shave stick and that's a shave a hobbyist would know how to get a good shave from and ENJOY. lol

Last edited:
Pears soap used to be good, but now it is cheapened. Used to have five wholesome ingredients, now about 20 unpronounceable ones.
Buy a bar of shaving soap. The best one is Droyts - cost £3 and you can buy it from Sir Gordon Bennet dot com I think.
Or take a tube of Arko - £1.49 from Amazon. Even better, buy it when you get there. Brush is essential.

Pears soap used to be good, but now it is cheapened. Used to have five wholesome ingredients, now about 20 unpronounceable ones.
Buy a bar of shaving soap. The best one is Droyts - cost £3 and you can buy it from Sir Gordon Bennet dot com I think.
Or take a tube of Arko - £1.49 from Amazon. Even better, buy it when you get there. Brush is essential.
According to the manufacturer, they used to list only the essential ingredients. After the blowback from the initial reformulation, they admitted the other ingredients have always been there, just now they list them. The only difference between the old and new is the level of fragrance (reduced) and the addition of more skin moisturizers.

Wherever the case, I too preferred the older formula.

Back
Top Bottom