Active Pass around - Wolfman WR4. Tester (Please read description)

Another pass around - this time prototype tester razor for WR4.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to secure SS WR4 for pass around, but got a green light to do pass around with my tester if I wish so - so why not!

Included in passaround is just a razor head.

It is an aluminum version, which isn't in production currently. Potentially they might make some next year but it is just a 'maybe' at this stage

Weights 7g, with 0.88 Gap.

NOTE
This prototype is very close to final version, there might be just tiny adjustments design wise.

One thing worth mentioning is that not all blades will fit into it. I had no issues with any of mine that I tested, but Masamune had some issues with fitting the prolines.

The tolerances got fixed up for final version.

Now onto the more boring but necessary bit! Rules:
- open to active, UK members ( can be active either on TSR or ATG).
- Minimum post count: 100 (can be total in mixture between TSR and ATG), with at least 6 months participation on either.
- 7 days to try
- Disinfect the razor before sending onto next person
- send via Royal Mail special delivery onto next person once you’re done with it (just so the full value of it, £370, is covered in case of loss/damage). You are responsible for the razor from the moment it reaches you, to the moment other person has it in their hands.
- when sending on to the next person , include me in message where tracking and passing of the address is. (some people didn't do that last time around... please make sure it happens this time)
- I reserve the right to add/remove people to the list at my disclosure.

Once razor is with last person , I’ll let them know where to send it onto - since it'll be run on ATG too.

1687030620266.png
EDIT (switched the pic to reflect the actual head rather than the shinier one that I had picture of on my phone! Masamune's picture few posts down shows it in different angle too!)

Razor head is currently with @Crossan .

Participant list:
1. Whoever wants to go after :)

Last edited:
One thing worth mentioning is that not all blades will fit into it. I had no issues with any of mine that I tested, but Masamune had some issues with fitting the prolines.

Issues = no way will they fit.

Prototype was clearly built around Feather blades - I tried ProGuards and SoftGuards and they slipped on easily. Kai blades were tight but did fit.

It's not shiny like in @Scorpio93's picture by the way.

IMG_0377.jpg

Issues = no way will they fit.

Prototype was clearly built around Feather blades - I tried ProGuards and SoftGuards and they slipped on easily. Kai blades were tight but did fit.

It's not shiny like in @Scorpio93's picture by the way.

View attachment 107576
My prolines did fit with a bit of a push... maybe I just got lucky :unsure: or was a bit more assertive with a push hah! Thanks for uploading the actual pic!

IMG_2025.jpeg
SOTD: 24/06/2023

Razor: Wolfman WR4
Blade: Feather Pro, 1st use
Brush: Highlander “Azzuri” Custom Brush Boti 4th Gen Pink 3 Color Synthetic Knot
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Master Soap Creations/Pasteurs Pharmacy Bloom Puck
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm
Fragrance: Add Al Zaafaran Oud 24 Hours EdP

Obviously this is my first day’s use with the Wolfman WR4 prototype head and it’s really too early to make a final judgement, plus you guys know I have a tendency to fall in love with shiny new things but… I think I’m in love with this shiny new thing! I know some dislike the size and shape of the head but it hits my sweet spot perfectly. Only a little blade feel, but incredibly close, I’d say this feels exactly hitting the tightrope between the Stando Rod/ATT SE1 and Vector. These are very different AC razors the first set being super comfortable and smooth with a little less efficiency, the Vector is a bit of a beast efficiency wise and I’ve come to the conclusion that I can only use it one or two days in a row as it feels like it cuts that little too close at times and verges on skin scraper levels. The WR4 and I know this is day one seems to almost be as efficient as the Vector without, (so far) any skin tightness/rawness. The true test will be the next subsequent days and how it feels after multiple shaves but on my first use I achieved an almost complete glass like BBS shave with no irritation.
I used my Shield Avenger titanium handle to act as a counter balance the light aluminium head, and it’s rare I find light razors effective for me but this wasn’t an issue here. I can see the steel version being great too though I hope it doesn’t make it a difference to how closely it shaves as this really is well balanced and spot on.
Finally I usually find my Feather pro blades a tad harsh on the first use or two, and this head turned them buttery smooth.
Tomorrow will be a real test to see how my skin copes in the interim and for the the next shave bit so far so excellent.
My positive outlook isn’t even down to the fact it’s a hallowed Wolfman either. I tried the recent passaround of the new Guerrilla and didn’t think much of it as it was far too mild for my liking.
Many thanks to @Scorpio93 for organising the passaround, Wolfman and @Crossan for posting it safely.

View attachment 107866
SOTD: 24/06/2023

Blade: Feather Pro, 1st use
Brush: Highlander “Azzuri” Custom Brush Boti 4th Gen Pink 3 Color Synthetic Knot
Soap: Master Soap Creations/Pasteurs Pharmacy Bloom Puck
Fragrance: Add Al Zaafaran Oud 24 Hours EdP

Obviously this is my first day’s use with the Wolfman WR4 prototype head and it’s really too early to make a final judgement, plus you guys know I have a tendency to fall in love with shiny new things but… I think I’m in love with this shiny new thing! I know some dislike the size and shape of the head but it hits my sweet spot perfectly. Only a little blade feel, but incredibly close, I’d say this feels exactly hitting the tightrope between the Stando Rod/ATT SE1 and Vector. These are very different AC razors the first set being super comfortable and smooth with a little less efficiency, the Vector is a bit of a beast efficiency wise and I’ve come to the conclusion that I can only use it one or two days in a row as it feels like it cuts that little too close at times and verges on skin scraper levels. The WR4 and I know this is day one seems to almost be as efficient as the Vector without, (so far) any skin tightness/rawness. The true test will be the next subsequent days and how it feels after multiple shaves but on my first use I achieved an almost complete glass like BBS shave with no irritation.
I used my Shield Avenger titanium handle to act as a counter balance the light aluminium head, and it’s rare I find light razors effective for me but this wasn’t an issue here. I can see the steel version being great too though I hope it doesn’t make it a difference to how closely it shaves as this really is well balanced and spot on.
Finally I usually find my Feather pro blades a tad harsh on the first use or two, and this head turned them buttery smooth.
Tomorrow will be a real test to see how my skin copes in the interim and for the the next shave bit so far so excellent.
My positive outlook isn’t even down to the fact it’s a hallowed Wolfman either. I tried the recent passaround of the new Guerrilla and didn’t think much of it as it was far too mild for my liking.
Many thanks to @Scorpio93 for organising the passaround, Wolfman and @Crossan for posting it safely.
Seeing your penchant for AC I did think you might get on with it.

IMG_2046.jpeg
SOTD: 25/06/2023

Blade: Feather Pro, 2nd use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Preshave: Bart’s Balm Preshave Sample Oil
Soap: Signature Capra Insurium Puck
Aftershave: Proraso Green Aftershave
Balm: Proraso Crema Liquida Dopobarba Balm

Day 2 with the WR4 and was it as good as I felt it was yesterday…yes! It certainly doesn’t leave the skin feeling delicate like multiple days use with the Vector can. A 3 pass glass BBS with little effort, the search for an ultra close, super smooth but not aggressive razor may be complete! The search for the cash to buy one however…
I have got into the habit of using my razors for 3 days in a row, typically to make sure everything gets used, more aggressive razors are balanced by milder ones and to ensure they warrant their place in the Den. This would be a keeper as it is and push at least two AC’s out of my den. I’m probably making this judgement way too early but I’m seriously considering adding myself to its waiting list. @Scorpio93 did I read it right when you said they were considering an aluminium version? I actually think the lightness of this head only adds to how well it works so I’d probably seriously consider one over a steel, in a better the devil you know evaluation.
I did wonder how well the large head would cope manoeuvrability wise but it’s so thin it’s actually a breeze in the usual difficult places. I’d also say the best results I’ve got so far seem to be from a shallower angle, on any other razor I’d say I was riding the cap but this just got closer and smoother results, quite a design feature.
On a separate note the Signature Soap Capra Insurium was so good today. I just need @BrianH to develop and all body vat/spray of it for me to constantly cover myself in over the summer!

SOTD: 25/06/2023

Blade: Feather Pro, 2nd use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Preshave: Bart’s Balm Preshave Sample Oil
Soap: Signature Capra Insurium Puck
Aftershave: Proraso Green Aftershave
Balm: Proraso Crema Liquida Dopobarba Balm

Day 2 with the WR4 and was it as good as I felt it was yesterday…yes! It certainly doesn’t leave the skin feeling delicate like multiple days use with the Vector can. A 3 pass glass BBS with little effort, the search for an ultra close, super smooth but not aggressive razor may be complete! The search for the cash to buy one however…
I have got into the habit of using my razors for 3 days in a row, typically to make sure everything gets used, more aggressive razors are balanced by milder ones and to ensure they warrant their place in the Den. This would be a keeper as it is and push at least two AC’s out of my den. I’m probably making this judgement way too early but I’m seriously considering adding myself to its waiting list. @Scorpio93 did I read it right when you said they were considering an aluminium version? I actually think the lightness of this head only adds to how well it works so I’d probably seriously consider one over a steel, in a better the devil you know evaluation.
I did wonder how well the large head would cope manoeuvrability wise but it’s so thin it’s actually a breeze in the usual difficult places. I’d also say the best results I’ve got so far seem to be from a shallower angle, on any other razor I’d say I was riding the cap but this just got closer and smoother results, quite a design feature.
On a separate note the Signature Soap Capra Insurium was so good today. I just need @BrianH to develop and all body vat/spray of it for me to constantly cover myself in over the summer!
Indeed, it is a consideration for next yeah however not 100% confirmed. It is a want from James but not a solid plan as of yet, as far as I know.

IMG_2051.jpegSOTD: 26/06/2023

Blade: Feather Pro, 3rd use
Brush: Highlander Chubby Style Boti Fan Knot Synthetic
Soap: HC&C White Star Southern Comfort Puck
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: Maison Alhambra Woody Oud EdP

Day 3 and the razor is still lovely! The skin is holding out well, the razor heads shaving angle is easy to find and the results still outstanding! I’m going to try another blade tomorrow but the ease at which it’s tamed the feather pro I doubt it’ll have any problems!

IMG_2058.jpeg
SOTD: 27/06/2023

Blade: Kai Captain Mild Blue, 1st use
Preshave: Proraso Pre-Shave Cream Sensitive Cream
Soap: Stirling Campania Puck
Balm: Bart's Balm BEN KILBRECK Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block
Fragrance: Stirling Campania Eau de Toilette

Another day, another good shave. Only good today and this was totally user error on my part. I decided to mess with the near perfect shaves I’d had so far and add a little pressure! Yes stupid breaking one of the key rules of wet shaving but I blame it on the Blackland email I received where they discussed the use of light razors and pressure. No idea why I tried to get closer on the near perfect shaves I’ve had so far, but after getting a few nicks on the neck taught me the error of my ways I returned to a blissful smooth shave I’ve had for the rest of week by taking a lighter more natural approach. Positively it worked easily with the Kai blades as well with no issues, and the rest of the shave was a breeze. Under the nose the shave is as accurate as the Vector, my Adam’s apple and slightly flabby neck are as smooth or more so than any shave I’ve ever had. If given the opportunity to swap just this prototype head for a my mirror polished Vector, I think I’d take the WR4 prototype in a heartbeat!

IMG_2060.jpeg
SOTD: 28/06/2023

Blade: Kai Captain Mild Blue, 2nd use
Brush: Highlander Chubby Style Boti Fan Knot Synthetic
Soap: A&E Monte Carlo Croap
Aftershave: A&E Monte Carlo Aftershave
Fragrance: Dior Savage Eau de Toilette

I thought I’d try a different heavier handle to see how it effected the shave, the answer was shortly, it didn’t. It changed the balance marginally but as usual the shave was delightful. I rarely use an SE or my razor on its own for this length of time and it’s yet to cause any issues or irritation. Smooth and close I genuinely can’t find any fault. I’m going to enjoy my last two shave sessions with it and try and work out how to get one! Faultless!

IMG_2062.jpeg
SOTD: 29/06/2023

Blade: Kai Captain Mild Blue, 3rd use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Iceni Puck
Aftershave: Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man EDT
Balm: Phoenix & Beau Iceni Balm

A lovely shave from start to finish, the WR4 is really is going to be missed once I move it on after my next shave. I don’t think I can find fault with it at all.

IMG_2063.jpegSOTD: 30/06/2023

Blade: Feather Pro, 4th use
Brush: Highlander Copper Colonel Plissoft Knot
Soap: A&E Vetimore Shaving Butter Puck
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm
Fragrance: Maison Alhambra Tobacco Touch EdP

My last shave with the WR4 was predictably a delight. Smooth, close and efficient. My skin hasn’t reacted despite the closeness of the shave. I genuinely can’t find a fault with this razor head and would dearly like one, but at £300+ this might have to wait a few years to save or for my 50th in a few years time, or sweet talk @Scorpio93 somehow! It’s on to the next in the passaround via ATG now and will be missed but not forgotten! Many thanks for the opportunity to try this great piece of kit!

Back
Top Bottom