Closed Pass around: Merkur 37C Slant - CLOSED

Thanks for reporting back. If you think the 37C twists the blade, you should try some of the German vintage slants. :eek:
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Blademonkey (TSR)
  3. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  4. Gairdner (ATG/TSR)
  5. wazza (ATG)
  6. ManicDee
  7. You?
The list is open.

Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

Yes I know, I just was talking about the blade twist when compaired to the S2, as you say some other slants put an unbelievable amount of twist on the blade, I may have to try one of those vintage German slants, what would you recommend ? Thanks.

Yes I know, I just was talking about the blade twist when compaired to the S2, as you say some other slants put an unbelievable amount of twist on the blade, I may have to try one of those vintage German slants, what would you recommend ? Thanks.
I tried a Trumpf slant on a pass around and liked it. I think Fasan is another brand to look out for. I honestly don't know too much about them. @efsk is the resident expert on vintage slants.

I have done my time with the Merkur 37c and have sent a PM to the next on the list ( Mr bigmem ) so he can forward me his address.

I had four shaves with it and compaired it to my ATT S2 and was left feeling slightly underwhelmed with it. I had high hopes for this razor but found it to be very so so. However I have to say it always gave a good shave and others may feel differently about it. YMMV and all that!
I have been informed that the fabled Bunny will be hopping it's way to me on Monday so this is why I am saying goodbye to the 37c.
Thank you to all concerned in the pass around of this razor and a special thanks going out to @Steve Bowles who kindly donated this razor in the first instance. Thank you all.

@Blademonkey & @riverrun : There's a lot of vintage german slants that are fun and great shavers. The Trumpf and Fasan that are mentioned are great, and can now be had for cheap in the form of the PAA bakelite slant. @Leisureguy has regularly referred to his Eros here lately, which is a diagonal that has been sold under several brandnames. Great shavers, this morning a white and a brown walbusch variant of this razor were being offered. Apollo has made some great razors, and the Solingen differentialhead that the X3 is a muted variant of is terrific. Search for Lutz if you want one.
That said, for me the 37c belongs to the best slants have to offer.

@Blademonkey & @riverrun : There's a lot of vintage german slants that are fun and great shavers. The Trumpf and Fasan that are mentioned are great, and can now be had for cheap in the form of the PAA bakelite slant. @Leisureguy has regularly referred to his Eros here lately, which is a diagonal that has been sold under several brandnames. Great shavers, this morning a white and a brown walbusch variant of this razor were being offered. Apollo has made some great razors, and the Solingen differentialhead that the X3 is a muted variant of is terrific. Search for Lutz if you want one.
That said, for me the 37c belongs to the best slants have to offer.
Thank you, it's intresting that I didn't find the 37c anything special at all and much prefer my ATT S2. I do realise that the 37c has. Massive following but I couldn't find why! Maybe slants are just not for me although I can detect a better shave with the S2 when compaired to my ATT R2. Thank you for the infomation regarding the vintage German slants.

I rate the S2/S1 at about the same level as the 37c, however they are very different.
The fact that the 37 does not work for you does not mean no slants at all will. I know someone who loves slants, yet can't shave at all with Fasan or the above mentioned Walbusch/Eros/... razor.

Thanks,
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Blademonkey (TSR)
  3. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  4. Gairdner (ATG/TSR)
  5. wazza (ATG)
  6. ManicDee (ATG)
  7. matteob (TSR)
  8. You?
The list is open.

Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

So 3 days good growth,.... and so my first shave with the 37c this morning and........ mehhh......... its a razor and it shaves.....I popped in a new astra blade, used my normal prep face wash cold splash, wilko pre shave oil, and lathered up a good batch of 1912 palmer voilet. Then the shave it self was as said mehhhh.......So it was ok but it felt even milder than i'd expected and i've got a 34c,......there was nothing in this razor that got me happy, excited or mildly impressed in its shave, and I love a good shave in the morning lol. To be honest I ended up finishing off with my Oneblade as If i'd pushed for BBS I know it was so mild i'd have got irritation.... where was the magic i'd heard about slants.. this slant will not be urging me to buy my own 37c. As i've already said I have the 34c and again while thats no more fun a shave its my lil steam engine lol, i'd given some but not high hopes to the slant bringing something new to the table. and having read reviews from @Blademonkey and @riverrun i'd hoped it was going to be a YMMV situation and i'd find it better but.....mehhh.

So i'm going to try one more shave with a bad boy feather to ramp it up and then leave my final thoughts. But to be honest it don't look good lol

Back
Top Bottom