Active Pass Around: Fatboy

wellboy said:
Ok folks it's time to pass this baby on.
Had it now for 10 days and it is a absolute pleasure to shave with so much so that i have bought one off the bay.

Glad that one fit you so well,

Martin

Pm sent wellboy

Can't wait to fire it up. :cool:

Should be an interesting shave, as i normally require very aggressive razors, been a while since i've used an adjustable.

Helveticum said:
Hello, I'd like to join the list - very curious how different would it be compared to my DE89.

Hi there,

My feeling is you'll find the Fatboy and DE89 are gonna be very different performers. I've shaved with both......one fits me perfectly and the other one is unpleasant to use. I tried like crazy to like the new EJ head, but it's just not for me.

Martin

dodgy said:
Helveticum said:
Hello, I'd like to join the list - very curious how different would it be compared to my DE89.

Hi there,

My feeling is you'll find the Fatboy and DE89 are gonna be very different performers. I've shaved with both......one fits me perfectly and the other one is unpleasant to use. I tried like crazy to like the new EJ head, but it's just not for me.

Martin

Hello Martin, I'm really looking forward to that experiment! Gonna be looking to buy one shortly :roll: Also waiting for the Traveling Slant to arrive any day next week.

All:

I see that the list is growing for those wanting to try the Fat Boy and compare it to what is in their kit. Wonderful gesture Martin; Spot On and well accepted from the guys over there by the sounds of it. If the list continues to grow, and I think it will, it''ll take longer for it to make the rounds.

I will offer up a Fat Boy to Trainman and he can post from Birmingham. The postage is just to much to send it back to the states. $14 over and $14 back is more than I paid for it. Martin is right that there is no making money on these offers.

The other idea I had is to permanently forward deploy a SS Adjustable for those who have never tried that beautiful razor. There was a thread talked up about donating razors to the forum so members could try them out. I can do that and not interfere with Martin's project. Who should I contact or send a Fat Boy and SS Adjustable (silver or gold?) for TSR?

All the best from the Pacific Northwest, Robert

Helveticum said:
Hello Martin, I'm really looking forward to that experiment! Gonna be looking to buy one shortly :roll: Also waiting for the Traveling Slant to arrive any day next week.

Hi there,

Yeah, I'll be curious how the fatboy fits you. As you probably know, those and the slim are pretty well evenly liked, with about half the members preferring one over the other. So, if the fatboy turns out not to be for you, be sure to sample a slim down the road.

Martin

Robert Otten said:
All:

I will offer up a Fat Boy to Trainman and he can post from Birmingham. The postage is just to much to send it back to the states. $14 over and $14 back is more than I paid for it. Martin is right that there is no making money on these offers.

The other idea I had is to permanently forward deploy a SS Adjustable for those who have never tried that beautiful razor. There was a thread talked up about donating razors to the forum so members could try them out. I can do that and not interfere with Martin's project. Who should I contact or send a Fat Boy and SS Adjustable (silver or gold?) for TSR?

Nice deal Robert,

You know, we really are lucky to live in the States when it comes to finding old Gillettes at reasonable prices. From what I've heard from our Limey counterparts, it's rare to find DE razors in any sorta stores, and finding one made in the US has gotta be even tougher. A few members do have pretty good luck when buying boots out of the back of someones car. Funny how boot sales and razors go together sometimes......

So your gonna offer up one of those long handled black super adjustables as well as the Fatboy? Heh, even gonna offer their choice of gold or silver eh? That's a heck of a gesture Robert, and another good choice for members to sample. Yeah, I know some people who use those as their go to razor, and it's especially good for someone with large hands. I think that's one of the best DE razors to start with because it adjusts to a mild setting, and the long handle feels kinda like a cartridge one. That was my first DE razor and it was a good decision.

Very generous of you,

Martin

Well fatty has now arrived and im itching to try it, but can't until tomorrow blast these close shaves im getting. :lol:

Actually speaking of a pass around, would anyone be interested in trying a slant, i can't do it atm as a mate is trying it, but soon as it's back i don't mind.

This thread is getting more and more exciting :) I'd love to try an adjustable SS too, please don't forget to put me on the list :roll:

P.S. The Traveling Slant (it's from another passaround on B&B) has arrived, and I'm actually quite liking it - very close shave, will take some adjustment of technique though. So really recommend the people who hasn't tried one yet to accept Huxley's offer while he's in a mood ;)

Sure soon as i get it back from a mate i'll put up a thread.

Just had my shave with a shark sc and the fatboy on 7.

Colour me impressed, the razor has some nice heft and feels solid like a proper razor, it glided around effortless and though it took me three passes instead of two, i can afford to let my guard down. Not a single hint of irritation and a fantastic shave.

But one let down, it's a rather boring shave not in a bad sense, just meant i switched off and whizzed it around my face, so i had a shave rather than felt i had one if that makes sense.

Plus if i used something like say mwf, i feel it would have a job to break past the lather.

Shall i be grabbing one, most certainly i always heard these weren't that aggressive, well it certainly was for me and my stubble is very tough.

Next fella on the list send us a pm so i can send it off this weekend ta.

What's up Huxley,

Thanks for your thoughts on that razor. Sounded like your experience was a positive one, not to mention prying that particular monkey off your back. Glad to see you had no problem with any technique tweaking the first time or two.

So you set that on #7 eh? Yeah, that should have enough bite for most people, and it seemed like that setting agreed with your face. My magic # is 4 on all Gillette adjustables, so I'd feel the blade too much on your setting. I actually know a few people who use their Fatboy wide open on 9, which is pretty strange if you ask me.

Heh, you think the razor's a little boring do you? Too easy and not much challenge maybe? If that's the case, I agree with you. I can use this thing very well without having to pay lots of attention to detail. I still can hurt myself if I'm not careful (especially with a Feather blade), but normally this razor gives me a very comfortable and pretty close shave. I'll use this when I want a perfect shave with no drama or technique tweaking. That means I use it most days, and will switch off with other razors I can't use daily for whatever the reason.

I normally don't recommend a Feather blade in most razors, mainly because they usually don't work for me. You might like to try one of those in the Fatboy before you send it along. Maybe dial it down one number and see what happens. That head design seems to tame a Feather pretty darn well for me.

Well, now you know what the deal is with this razor. Heh, I suppose you should probably try a Slim sometime.......for science.

Martin

huxley said:
Sure soon as i get it back from a mate i'll put up a thread.

Just had my shave with a shark sc and the fatboy on 7.

Colour me impressed, the razor has some nice heft and feels solid like a proper razor, it glided around effortless and though it took me three passes instead of two, i can afford to let my guard down. Not a single hint of irritation and a fantastic shave.

But one let down, it's a rather boring shave not in a bad sense, just meant i switched off and whizzed it around my face, so i just shaved rather than felt i had a shave if that makes sense.

Plus if i used something like say mwf, i feel it would have a job to break past the lather.

Shall i be grabbing one, most certainly i always heard these weren't that aggressive, well it certainly was for me and my stubble is very tough.

Next fella on the list send us a pm so i can send it off this weekend ta.

dodgy said:
Robert Otten said:
All:

Nice deal Robert,

You know, we really are lucky to live in the States when it comes to finding old Gillettes at reasonable prices. From what I've heard from our Limey counterparts, it's rare to find DE razors in any sorta stores, and finding one made in the US has gotta be even tougher. A few members do have pretty good luck when buying boots out of the back of someones car. Funny how boot sales and razors go together sometimes......

So your gonna offer up one of those long handled black super adjustables as well as the Fatboy? Heh, even gonna offer their choice of gold or silver eh? That's a heck of a gesture Robert, and another good choice for members to sample. Yeah, I know some people who use those as their go to razor, and it's especially good for someone with large hands. I think that's one of the best DE razors to start with because it adjusts to a mild setting, and the long handle feels kinda like a cartridge one. That was my first DE razor and it was a good decision.

Very generous of you,

Martin

I'll do that then Martin. I'll offer up a Fatboy, a Black Super Adjustable Gold metal bottom (Long) and as you rightly recommended, a Slim Adjustable to be together as travel mates so those Old World people "Over There" can try them out one after the other; in less than a weeks time. I'll contact Trainman and request he forward on from Birmingham. I have a package I'm making up for him to be mailed off this weekend and at least they would be on the way before this posting gets answered and postage would cover them as well; not much weight.

I believe I'll post a new thread when the razors are in place in England and then offer up to the forum; mail off from there where it is cheaper for them all. Again, I have to talk with Dave.

Dave if you're reading this I'll post PM later, very busy at work.

As Martin led the way and set an example on this effort I too don't expect to see those razors come back over here. A gift from me to the TSR as Boab suggested and Max is going to add some razors as well when he returns from travel. I'm very happy to be able to do this for you gentlemen and this will be one hell of a sea story for me. Enjoy judging the adjustables and then place your bids. I'll throw in pack each of Feathers and Iridiums as well.

UPDATE 3 June: PM to Trainman sent this afternoon. Attention to details will be posted on seperate thread when I make the offer.

Back
Top Bottom