Closed Pass Around: Asylum RX - Finished.

1. sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Nishy (ATG)
  3. rowlers (ATG)
  4. globalm (TSR)
  5. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  6. Acer89 (ATG)
  7. MikeyJ (TSR)
  8. Fuzzyian (TSR)
  9. Dogsmro (ATG/TSR)
  10. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  11. p.b (ATG)
  12. Blademonkey (TSR)
  13. MPH (TSR)
  14. Burgundy (ATG)
  15. Wayne (ATG)
  16. AlexNoodles (ATG)
  17. barber bear (TSR)
  18. ben139 (ATG)
  19. newbie (TSR)
The list is open.
Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

First shave with the Pass-around RX Asylum and it's my first Artist type razor shave for a while, this is partly to blame for what followed! I have to say, there are some very nice samples in the box, so thanks to those that have popped those in, the box is full to the brim. I saw Wickhams Classic 24 and got very excited as it's a soap I've been thinking about. Well I scooped a little out into my warm mug, sprinkled some warm water in to let it bloom and a short time later went at it with the Simpsons Duke 3 brush... Now I have no idea what happened, but I was trying for a good 5-10 minutes to get a lather out of the soap and brush, towards the end it looked a little more promising and I started to apply, but the lather just disappeared. This is in stark contrast to my usual experience with Wickhams. This could be partly down to my lack of experience with the brush, or using too little of the sample pot, but it was a little disappointing. That being said, I initially liked the scent and then as I lathered up, the profile changed and I decided it wasn't for me regardless... So 10mins later and getting a little short for time, I walloped a glob of Speick Cream into the mug and had at it, two minutes later and a large swathe of lather was ready to be plastered across my ugly mug.

Thoughts on the razor now, beautiful thing. Cleverly designed, bit of a faff initially to load a blade but I think this will come down to familiarty with the razor. I agree with some previous comments that the machining lines going across the razor are a little unsightly for the cost, but it's still a lovely object.

On to the shave, I loaded up a feather pro, I had around 4 days stubble to mow through and felt the other more mild blades may not have been up to the task. That in itself was possibly a mistake, considering my lack of artist shaves recently and also the reputation that this razor can be a bit of a beast in some hands!

The angle is intuitive, easy to find and away I went. The whiskers were mowed down with consumate ease, though I did note that it seems this razor has a lot of blade feel, may just be me. Anyway, two passes later and I had a very, very good result, but my face was stinging a little, I had a couple of tiny nicks and multiple weepers. All of which healed up after application of some Thayers Aloe WH and Speick AB, but my face and neck were both stinging a little in areas. Fast forward to today and the result is still very good, but I have visible irritation patches on my neck (more so than usual) I was getting no irritation before I started faffing about with pass around razors! As such I'll need to give it at least the rest of today before I potentially shave tomorrow.

I'll use a milder blade tomorrow (if I'm healed), maybe even the soft guard as that seems to be getting a good write up and will report back.

Mixed feelings at the moment. I did enjoy the shave, I did get a good result in terms of whisker removal, not a good result in terms of skin condition. I am however very much looking forward to more shaves with it :)

img_20161125_182120-01-jpeg.5192

Will be interested to see what you think of the Softguard. Even a well broken-in pro was a bit much for me but the Softguard was great. Needed a bit more 'polishing' but didn't do any damage whatsoever.
I'm looking forward to giving them a go, having had a very poor experience with pro guards blades in the past...

Morning gents,

Shaved with the RX Asylum for the second time last night with a couple of days' growth. The first shave with the Feather Pro blade left a close result, but as previously reported, I had a couple of small nicks, multiple weepers and some irritation on my neck. Nothing traumatic, but not great. Having given the trouble spots a couple of days to recover I was ready to tackle the Asylum again, but this time with the polar opposite Feather Softguard blade.

Though my picture shows my Shavemac brush, as I was using the Wickham's Irish Fern sample in the mug, I decided to actually use my Men-U Premier Synthetic brush. I took a bit more from the sample than I did with the Classic 24 and this time was rewarded with the kind of lather I've come to expect from Wickham's. The scent was also more up my street than the Classic 24, this could be one to look out for, I liked it.

On to the shave and things were generally positive. The softguard blade is an interesting one, there is a lot less feel from it than the Feather Pro and this shows in its cutting power. Whilst it got through my beard in my usual two passes, leaving no irritation and no weepers, it did struggle a little on my upper lip which is an area of thick growth for me. It felt a little tuggy here and along with a couple of other places did not feel smooth, but everywhere else was well looked after and the result was a very good one. I do tend to go atg on my upper lip and couldn't with this blade, it was too uncomfortable, but an xtg pass did the job well. I'm actually very impressed with this blade, as a daily driver blade this could be a winner and I think it dials down the aggression level of this razor considerably. For my next shave, hopefully tonight, I am going to try a Kai Mild blade to see what this is like with only a day's growth.

To compare this shave with my first is an interesting paradox, I didn't enjoy the shave as much because of the minor tugging issues, however the result was far better in terms of irritation, weepers etc. With the Feather Pro, there were no cutting issues, but the blade feel was actually a little too much, it demanded a lot of care, whereas the Softguard was a much easier experience. They were just very different shaves, both were enjoyable in their own way, but neither were shaving nirvana. I wonder if the Kai Mild blade will be the right balance… we shall see!

img_20161127_223000-01-jpeg.5264

Morning all,

Third shave with the Asylum, no picture as it was the same set up as the previous shave. Only a day's growth and quite a late shave so I was very tired and not in the best of moods. I only did 1 and a half passes as I just wanted to get to bed, therefore the write up will be short.

Exactly the same set up as yesterday, Men-U Premier Synthetic brush, Wickham's Irish Fern soap. The only difference was the blade, moving onto a Kai Titan Mild. This blade is certainly milder than the Pro and definitely has more about it than the SoftGuard, I think had I taken my time a little more I would have had a great shave. As I was rushing a little I managed to get a small nick on my chin whilst I was doing my first pass, that was a sign for me to give it a rest for the night, so I completed the first pass without any further incident, re-lathered the upper lip and “goatee” area (which is where my growth is most persistent) and called it a night. The end result was actually very respectable for a one and a half pass shave. The little nick disappeared with the application of some Thayer's Aloe WH and Speick AB and I was definitely presentable with little irritation. The result today is still decent, I'll be shaving again tomorrow and will work out what blade to use then depending on how the beard looks! Also, I've started using Argan Oil as a moisturiser as I didn't really get on with it as a pre-shave and so far (two applications in) it really seems to be doing a great job. It's very nourishing without being oily, quickly absorbed and leaves my skin feeling smooth and glowing… it might be my new go to face moisturiser (having previously not used face moisturisers regularly, only when my skin is dry, I've definitely been able to tell the difference so far.)

Enjoy the rest of your day gents.

Fourth shave with the RX Asylum with around 2 days growth. This time using the Kai Captain blade and the Mystic Waters Orange Spice Tea soap. Nice smelling soap, lathered up well, enjoyed it, thanks @Nishy for the sample.

This blade felt the smoothest and most comfortable to shave with, however, get your head round this, it gave me the worst result. I was enjoying the shave, thinking "oh, this is nice, nice and smooth, doesn't feel like it will bite", get to the end of the first pass and I've got multiple weepers, couldn't believe it! Finished the second pass on my face, left my neck alone. Ended up quite tender in my neck area and still with multiple weepers. Very weird, the shave felt the most comfortable in terms of blade feel and smoothness, but the result was not a good one. Removed whiskers no problems, just left me feeling quite sore.

The only blade I've used in this razor that has left me with no weepers or nicks is the SoftGuard. The next blade I use will be the Kai MG, will be interesting to see how I get along with that. Still perplexed by this razor, I do enjoy shaving with it, but the results just aren't going my way at all and as a result, there's only so much enjoyment you can get out of it! Until the next time...

Please sign me up as well, Andreas, I will cover the xtra postage to Germany. Maybe you can 'sort' Germans if there are more than me [emoji1]

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Certainly. I think there's only one other German on the list, but I've already had the razor... :D:D
Be prepared for a little wait... :rolleyes:
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Nishy (ATG)
  3. rowlers (ATG)
  4. globalm (TSR)
  5. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  6. Acer89 (ATG)
  7. MikeyJ (TSR)
  8. Fuzzyian (TSR)
  9. Dogsmro (ATG/TSR)
  10. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  11. p.b (ATG)