Closed Pass-a-round Alumnigoose

Two shaves in and the Alumigoose is definitely more aggressive and less smooth than the stainless steel Mongoose B2 and B3 razors.

I used a Feather Pro (with 3 previous shaves on it last night) and a Kai Captain tonight. The Feather felt much rougher than I thought it would (it's usually at it's peak in a stainless Mongoose at this stage) and the Kai Captain felt much smoother (I've always struggled with it in a stainless Mongoose). So far it's something of a mixed picture - I have a feeling that this razor will be very blade dependent in order to get the best results out of it. :)

I've just had my final shave with the Alumigoose this evening and have a few other observations to add to my first post.

Firstly, the razor is definitely more aggressive than a stainless steel Mongoose (either B2 or B3). This has been a consistent factor with every blade I've tried. I would go as far to say that a Kai Captain Mild feels very slightly more aggressive in this razor than a Feather Pro Super does in a standard Mongoose.

Secondly, in my experience, I prefer using it with Kai blades. I didn't notice much difference between Kai Captain and Kai Captain Mild blades when using the razor. They definitely gave a smoother shave than Feather Pro or Super blades though.

Finally, I tried a combination of differing handles (both long and short) and found that a longer handle suits the razor nicely (I settled on a UFO Kaiser 100mm as being the best combination with this head, closely followed a standard Mongoose stainless B2 handle). I found that it was not so much the weight of the head that was the major factor in this choice, but the width of the head. I reckon that this head would pair well with a long Titanium handle as well.

All-in-all, this is a nice razor which, if you find the standard Mongoose to be too mild, is a viable and well made alternative.

The razor is now ready for packaging and will be on it's way to @missingskin in the morning. Many thanks again to @Holyzeus for the opportunity to try out this razor. :)

Back
Top Bottom