Paris

Hi guys,

I hope you guys have been well the last few weeks.

I got married on Saturday. Lots of stories to tell. Biggest one is that I nearly missed the Registry! The A14 southbound was closed. We had my uncle's car following us. He travelled down from Manchester. Not a problem we thought. We followed the diversions and they started taking us somewhere else. Panic was starting to set in. I was in my jeans and
t-shirt - my aunt (who was driving) said I should change when we got there. I had to be in St Ives, Huntingdon for 4.15pm for my 'interview' with the registrar (my wife's was at 4.25pm). We stopped on the hard shoulder and I got into my uncle's car. He's a policeman and he has this amazing sat nav. Problem is, he has never used it. He looks like the dad in the Royle Family tv program, except today he had his sharp suit on. I tried to dial in an alternative route on it. I also noticed the screen was frozen! My uncle didn't even notice this. But the 'voice' was giving us directions so we listened to it. I then realised, the screen wasn't frozen but it has a 'screenshot' feature! bloody hell. I didn't dare faff about with it. We continued listening to the voice and got there at 4.20pm. I jumped out of the car with my outfit in my hand. My brother came to get me (he was already there). I was shaking. He told me my fiance took my slot for the interview and I had less than 5 mins to change and get upstairs. We legged it to the back entrance and got into a bathroom. Another uncle and my little nephew came along and helped me get changed. My uncle was doing my tie and my 6 year old nephew was putting my shoes on and doing my laces! I ran upstairs, shaking like anything. Answered the registrar's questions and got married! My first dance (for the reception later) went well! The DJ was absolutely awesome. I'll have the photos up soon. My registry outfit was a lovely morning suit with my grandads watch going across the waistcoat, and my reception outfit was an ivory 3 piece! lol.

Seeing the mother-in-law crying and the others at the ring exchanges (and throughout the night) , almost had me going. I have more of that coming up at the end of the week: Indian ceremony this coming saturday (20th). I'm planning a honeymoon to Paris on Sunday (21st) - leaving by eurostar around luchtime. Staying 4 nights. Can't believe how expensive eurostar is! 288 quid for 2 people! OMG!
I don't know anything about paris but I bought a book and roughly know what I want to see. Namely, jardin du luxembourg, jardin du tuillers, usual stuff: eiffel tower, champs elysees + the arc , notre dame, sacre coeur and a couple museusm and plenty of wine - i haven't drunk in a month :(

Fellow shavers, I need your help please. I have to book a hotel in London for the night of the 20th.
And then a paris hotel for 4 nights sun 21st - wed 24th:

The only thing I like that I have found is this:

Paris, hotel:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-0912-sofitel-paris-la-defense/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-0912-so ... ndex.shtml</a><!-- m -->

Reviews:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187147-d197381-Reviews-Sofitel_Paris_La_Defense-Paris_Ile_de_France.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... rance.html</a><!-- m -->

I've only once before stayed in a hotel (in India). Does the above one look okay? I know they put fancy pictures up, but I'm hoping it's decent. It seems to be to the west of the centre. I'm hoping the metro is not too expensive. They also have a 'branch' based at champs elysees but for some reason it doesn't get good reviews and is more expensive.

Finding a hotel in london is hard too. I have to make it a good 'un but some of the prices are astronomical!
The only one I have liked the look of so far is Malmaison, EC1M 6AH and that's because I have a voucher. Will give them a call now...

If there's anything you recommend for my paris trip, 1 night london stay or Eurostar please feel free to post. Your help is VERY MUCH appreciated. As a thank you, I will send out a sample of the secret shaving cream to you until stocks lasts. This is my favourite cream. I've used it for over a year now and it has NEVER been mentioned on our boards. I will reveal it after I get back. Promise!

Thanks

Sonny

Ps. Andy + Adam ..I WILL VISIT THE POST OFFICE THIS WEEK!!!

Re: I'm Married - help me please

Malmaison's are good if you want a decent but reasonably priced hotel -- my dad used to work for them. Recommended!

I'll ask him what else he thinks is good.

Re: I'm Married - help me please

May I also offer my congratulations to you and your bride.

Likewise I can't help with the hotel situation, on the rare occasions I've been to a Hotel its been Mrs J that chooses (then its her fault ;) )

Firstly, congratulations to you and yours, wish you both all the best.

With regards to hotels, Google my friend and choose appropriately.

*APPROPRIATLY*. Def: Should not – Could not – Will not – Give your know better half reason to frown, grimace, stay silent, shrug, respond with “its okay”.

RB73 said:
*APPROPRIATLY*. Def: Should not – Could not – Will not – Give your know better half reason to frown, grimace, stay silent, shrug, respond with “its okay”.

Thanks guys!

Yes, RB. That's what I'm worried about. We're both not use to luxury (apart from shaving gear!!) and it would be nice to spoil her for the first time. I'll have to call Barclaycard and get them to up my limit. Not sure if they do that for students. lol

Hi Sonny, and many congratulations to you and your new Mrs. Sonny. I thought you'd gone quiet, and wondered if the big day had been and gone. Glad that first dance went okay!

My only piece of advice here would be to take what TripAdvisor says with a pinch of salt. You can usually read once review of a hotel that says it's brilliant, and another of the same hotel that says it's appalling. That's people for you - they have different standards by which they judge.

For example, some people think that Pig Cat is just a playful scamp...

Congratulations to you & your new wife Sonny. I m afraid I have no advice on Paris......I'll be willing to bet that neither of you will care where you stay ;) ;)

Congratulations to you both sonny and glad you have a few good stories from the day aswell !

Try this link for some good romantic things to do

http://gofrance.about.com/cs/parisforcouples/a/parisforlovers.htm

hotels advice i would ring any possible hotels and check theres a good view of the city :D and have an afternoon snooze so you can hang out late! and buy a lot of champers from 'le' Oddbins ' to save on the room service bill

ps for fook sake dont go shaving shopping unless its during the three hour spa and facial session you so thoughtfully book for her on day three of yr honeymoon having scoped the likely shops where you might find said shaving goods during those ever so romantic walks around Paris ...just thought mate :D

Congrats Sonny and Mrs. Sonny. Can't advise on hotels, but would recommend seeing the Musée d'Orsay in Paris if you have time. I expect you're up to your ears in relatives and celebrations as I type!
I'm dying to hear about the shaving cream you have been tantilising us all with for so long.

Back
Top Bottom