Palmolive in a bowl.

Been using Palmolive constntly for about three weeks now and absolutely love it. It has dethroned Prorazo as my 'go to' soap and whilst I like both of them equally, Palmolive blows it away in terms of VFM (50p a stick at Tesco's).

Except for one thing. I cannot seem to get the hang of "face lathering". Dunno if it's just me but trying to hold a slippery slither of soap to my face is at best a comedy session for my wife watching me chase a wet fish around the bathroom, at worst its just really frustrating.

I really need a version in a bowl, except one doesn't exist.

Until tonight.

After reading about a couple of people milling their favourite bowl soaps into sticks to take on holiday on B&B, thought I'd reverse the process on a couple of palmolive sticks.

Here is the result: Bowl is from Homebase which I picked up today for £1.50, its a small oven-proof casserole dish which normally sells for £4.99, but the lid was missing (presumably broken) with 2 sticks of grated palmolive firmly pressed in place.

Palmolive001.jpg

Lathers like a Demon!

Palmolive004.jpg

Palmolive005.jpg

So, for a grand total of £2.50 and 45 minutes graft, I've got what I wanted.

Off for a shave now, without flicking the soap all round the bathroom!

Regards

Jules

Saisburys Bamber Bridge do the same bowl for £2.99. Which is odd, because IIRC Homebase is owned by Sainsdogs.

I have an orange one with Palmolive in it and a blue one with Soapy Secrets Patchouli in it. Mind you neither are getting a look in at the mo due to my pot of J Petermans 1903.

pedro083 said:
shanky887614 said:
am i the only one who dries there hands before trying to face lather with a stick of palm olive? (i hold mine like im trying to tighten up a nut to attach tap to basin

SmileyQuestion.png

he mentions having to chase the stick around the bathroom because it slips out of his hand

personally i think what he has done is better than using the stick if im honest

Julese34 said:
Bowl is from Homebase which I picked up today for £1.50, its a small oven-proof casserole dish which normally sells for £4.99, but the lid was missing (presumably broken)
Trip to Homebase, go to tool section, collect hammer, drop by the kitchenware section, gentle tap on the lid with the hammer, instant saving. That dish does look good though. I don't have a nice dish.... yet.

Can't say I ever had to wrestle with my palmolive stick. But my La Toja is a bit more awkward.

Try holding the stick still and moving your face instead. That may help. :blush:

If you think Palmolive soap in a pot is good...try just a blob of palmolive cream squeezed on to of it as well.....Now that really is luxury lather.....I think I must have enough Palmolive stashed away to last at least ten years....Luvverly stuff...I even love the smell, nothing exotic, just nice clean and wholesome...

Stick or round I've started to only use a "Slice" cut offend pressed into the bottom of my bowl. The stick or round stays dry and in it's original container. That way I always know what it is.

If you cover the top of the soap with hot water - as in submerge it, none of your "just a teaspoonful for me, thanks" stuff - then leave it to its own devices for ten minutes or so, you'll find that it doesn't half lather well. Oh yeah, ditch the water before setting to with the brush. I only mention this because it makes more difference with Palmolive than any other soap I know of, and it gets rid of that tendency to dry out on your face for some reason. Mind you, Goldcrest is spot on about super lathering with the cream, especially if you need to make a batch of custard pies as well.

trainman said:
I like that cream coloured shaving scuttle,may i ask where you got it?.

Dave.

Of Course. I'm sure I got it from Connaught shaving; however I don't think they stock them any longer. It's actually an Ansgar Tolksdorf scuttle, although the design is no longer on his website. The closest that he does now is the basic scuttle.

Ansgar Tolksdorf

Well worth the money, although personally I like the look of Steve Woodheads stuff and may get another one from him.

Regards

Jules

balidey said:
Trip to Homebase, go to tool section, collect hammer, drop by the kitchenware section, gentle tap on the lid with the hammer, instant saving.

Opps. Busted. :blush::blush::blush::blush:

shanky887614 said:
am i the only one who dries there hands before trying to face lather with a stick of palm olive?

Sweaty hands from the hot shower prep and turning the bathroom into a steam room.

(That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Oddly, I've just done much the same in an equally stupidly small casserole dish with a single stick that was part of a PIF I won. In my case the dish was a freebie from a clothing catalogue my mother likes. I've just had my first shave with the soap and it was great, though the lather did dry on my face quickly, so I'll definitely be giving it a more thorough soak. I do normally soak my French triple-milled soaps, but the Palmolive seemed softer so I just rubbed a dribble of water onto it - now I know - cheers Andy!

I've made a mix of 1x Arko 2x Palmolive grated in to an old TOBS shaving cram bowl. It lathers brilliantly and calms down the pongyness of the Arko. My new favourite soap!

Back
Top Bottom