PAA Synthetic Brushes

I purchased a PAA Amber Aerolite brush on a whim in December. £21 delivered and it turned out to be a really nice brush. Curiosity got the better of me so I ordered the PAA Peregrino brush to compare (both from @Agent Shave ) . The Aerolite has the Stygian fibre and the Peregrino has the Roswell fibre. Both have big handles with 24mm knots:

IMG_20210102_125858.jpg

I believe the Stygian fibre is the same as the 2BED from AP Shave - I've assumed this from feel and colour. The Roswell appears to be the same as the Yaqi 'Mink' type fibre:

IMG_20210102_125915.jpg

To give a sense of scale, I've put the Peregrino next to a Yaqi Chianti and Sagrada Familia:

IMG_20210102_125928.jpg

I'll be using the Peregrino next week and will let you know how it goes here.

I'm curious to hear how the aerolite works for you as I'm a big fan of the 2BED, I'm waiting on another one with a different loft from ap shave.
Didn't realise the PAA brush used the same knot, and it's a lovely handle. Looking forward to see how you get on with it :)
You'll be pleased to hear I've already used the Aerolite. I really enjoyed it - it performed very well. Whilst I think it's the same as the 2BED (looks and feel), it's merely my assumption - I don't know this for definite.

Been thinking of buying the Perengrino ( pilgrim in Spanish ) as a tribute to me walking the Camino de Santiago from Porto , the English way from Ferrell and starting the French way up and over the Pyrenees to Logrono ( was supposed to be walking next stage in October )
So I'd be interested in how it performs before purchasing it .
Stay tuned

I purchased a PAA Amber Aerolite brush on a whim in December. £21 delivered and it turned out to be a really nice brush. Curiosity got the better of me so I ordered the PAA Peregrino brush to compare (both from @Agent Shave ) . The Aerolite has the Stygian fibre and the Peregrino has the Roswell fibre. Both have big handles with 24mm knots:

View attachment 62738

I believe the Stygian fibre is the same as the 2BED from AP Shave - I've assumed this from feel and colour. The Roswell appears to be the same as the Yaqi 'Mink' type fibre:

View attachment 62737

To give a sense of scale, I've put the Peregrino next to a Yaqi Chianti and Sagrada Familia:

View attachment 62736

I'll be using the Peregrino next week and will let you know how it goes here.
Hi Boycie83. I've had the pleasure of owning/using PAA's The Green Ray | 24mm Hybrid Tribble Synthetic Brush for about a year. I'm a face latherer, so unfortunately I found the splay on my face on the large side. However, combined with my three to four day beard growth, I managed to have a lovely lather most times. It especially excelled on the last stage, when 'paint brushing' the lather to thicken and even it out on my face.

My in-laws gifted me a Semogue 820 Boar Bristle Brush (they're not insightful, but still awesome as they asked what I'd like for Christmas). I'm looking forward to using it, but I wonder if the more rigid bristle will help lift my wiry stubble for a better lather experience, or scratch me up Freddy Krueger style.

Hi Boycie83. I've had the pleasure of owning/using PAA's The Green Ray | 24mm Hybrid Tribble Synthetic Brush for about a year. I'm a face latherer, so unfortunately I found the splay on my face on the large side. However, combined with my three to four day beard growth, I managed to have a lovely lather most times. It especially excelled on the last stage, when 'paint brushing' the lather to thicken and even it out on my face.

My in-laws gifted me a Semogue 820 Boar Bristle Brush (they're not insightful, but still awesome as they asked what I'd like for Christmas). I'm looking forward to using it, but I wonder if the more rigid bristle will help lift my wiry stubble for a better lather experience, or scratch me up Freddy Krueger style.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the 820. Don't let the hard dry bristles fool you. They're very soft once soaked, ready for your shave. Remember it will take a few shaves for the brush to break in though - its performance will improve over the break in process (allow it to completely dry between shaves).

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 820. Don't let the hard dry bristles fool you. They're very soft once soaked, ready for your shave. Remember it will take a few shaves for the brush to break in though - its performance will improve over the break in process (allow it to completely dry between shaves).
Hi Boycie83. Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling it'd need a break in period. I used it earlier today, it was rather underwhelming... It reminded me of my badger brush from many years ago. It took ages to break it in... But its a nice brush now.

Just wondering if anyone has used an Edwin Jagger 1EJ286SYNST? Its a small synthetic 21mm knot, which is appealing to me. RAD is kicking in big time...

Hi Boycie83. Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling it'd need a break in period. I used it earlier today, it was rather underwhelming... It reminded me of my badger brush from many years ago. It took ages to break it in... But its a nice brush now.

Just wondering if anyone has used an Edwin Jagger 1EJ286SYNST? Its a small synthetic 21mm knot, which is appealing to me. RAD is kicking in big time...
I've pulled the trigger, and purchased RazoRock Amici Synthetic Shaving Brush, which has a 20mm knot. I think the smaller knot may fit my face better than my PAA Green Ray Synthetic Brush.

Used the Peregrino today. Inspired by a SOTD pic from @Rotter1 I dusted off the Extro Fra Rinik. Glad I did - brilliant lather and this brush performed fantastically. Certainly a better performer than the Yaqi Chianti.

I'm impressed with these PAA brushes. Available from UK suppliers, cheap and excellent performers (with low glue bumps). What's not to like?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom