PAA slant razor

PAA1.jpgPAA2.jpgPAA3.jpg

My PAA slant has bit the dust. I didn't tighten it till it split although I know thats how it appears in the photos.
After the previous shave I cleaned razor and blade and there were no cracks visible. I decided to put the blade back in and clamped it "shave ready" for next time. ( it was the first time I'd left the blade in this razor ). A few days ago I picked it up again ( I didn't check for cracks prior to shaving ) and I had a lovely shave with no issues.
Afterwards I proceeded to take it apart for cleaning and the top cap opened up like a flower and cracks were also visible on the baseplate. How it never broke apart while I was shaving I don't know.
I'd left the blade clamped for about a week and during that time I reckon the torque has put excess pressure on the plastic causing it to crack. In hindsight I should have left the top cap loose but in any case I don't really expect a razor to break apart just because a blade's left in it and to me it demonstrated a weakness in the material or build quality.
I received a refund and although I enjoyed using this razor I don't have much confidence in its longevity so no plans for another one.
Using this has now put me on a slant search however. I'm quite keen on the Fatip Testina. Closed or OC ? Any thoughts or comments on the Fatip folks ? ?

View attachment 84727View attachment 84728View attachment 84729

My PAA slant has bit the dust. I didn't tighten it till it split although I know thats how it appears in the photos.
After the previous shave I cleaned razor and blade and there were no cracks visible. I decided to put the blade back in and clamped it "shave ready" for next time. ( it was the first time I'd left the blade in this razor ). A few days ago I picked it up again ( I didn't check for cracks prior to shaving ) and I had a lovely shave with no issues.
Afterwards I proceeded to take it apart for cleaning and the top cap opened up like a flower and cracks were also visible on the baseplate. How it never broke apart while I was shaving I don't know.
I'd left the blade clamped for about a week and during that time I reckon the torque has put excess pressure on the plastic causing it to crack. In hindsight I should have left the top cap loose but in any case I don't really expect a razor to break apart just because a blade's left in it and to me it demonstrated a weakness in the material or build quality.
I received a refund and although I enjoyed using this razor I don't have much confidence in its longevity so no plans for another one.
Using this has now put me on a slant search however. I'm quite keen on the Fatip Testina. Closed or OC ? Any thoughts or comments on the Fatip folks ? ?
Very Disappointing indeed
i have them all and like them alot.
i don’t know why i have them all as they are all the same lol just different colours.
I always use a washer in between handle & base plate just to make sure i’m not over tightening
do you think this might have helped ?

The fact you got a refund would suggest great customer service,
personally i would have got another one as long as PAA are willing to give you a replacement if it were to happen again or the other way of looking at it is perhaps they knew about this fault & dealt with you quickly.

Have you ever tried the Fasan the razor the fakelite’s were modelled on ?
Really worth a go but a bit pricey

Yes I liked the idea of the full set. The washer idea might have helped but I think my downfall was leaving the blade clamped in.
I did read comments somewhere that some were shipped from new and were already cracked straight out of the box. Can't say how much truth there is in that and I don't remember where I read it or heard about it. They might have been during first production run ?
I'm not fussed about having to tip toe around a razor in case it breaks.
The Fasan looks nice but its more of a collectors item and I don't know if I could justify the expense. There are other razors I'd spend that sort of money on if I was pushing the boat out. ... Mmm ? :unsure: I'm thinking Timeless 0.95 SS. Right ..... that's enough ! .. Sorry I had a relapse there !
I was pleasantly surprised with the level of understanding and there was no quibble about the refund.
Never say never but I'll pass on this one for the time being. My eyes are on this Fatip now. ......... WTF !! Bloody shaving !

Yes I liked the idea of the full set. The washer idea might have helped but I think my downfall was leaving the blade clamped in.
I did read comments somewhere that some were shipped from new and were already cracked straight out of the box. Can't say how much truth there is in that and I don't remember where I read it or heard about it. They might have been during first production run ?
I'm not fussed about having to tip toe around a razor in case it breaks.
The Fasan looks nice but its more of a collectors item and I don't know if I could justify the expense. There are other razors I'd spend that sort of money on if I was pushing the boat out. ... Mmm ? :unsure: I'm thinking Timeless 0.95 SS. Right ..... that's enough ! .. Sorry I had a relapse there !
I was pleasantly surprised with the level of understanding and there was no quibble about the refund.
Never say never but I'll pass on this one for the time being. My eyes are on this Fatip now. ......... WTF !! Bloody shaving !
Go on you know you want to lol
and it will eat away at you until you take the plunge

Go on you know you want to lol
and it will eat away at you until you take the plunge
Oh yes I want to ..... but the Fatip slant is a more likely purchase and its a fair bit closer to my current budget.
The Timeless 0.95 is one for the wish list and no doubt its a bit of a luxury buy but I hope to get my hands on one this year at some point

Last edited:
I would describe it as medium-aggressive. Not as aggressive as an R41 but very efficient
Certainly medium-aggressive, and I find it's not very forgiving if your angle is not spot-on, but a great shave if you take your time
Cheers for the valuable comments guys.
I might be tempted with the closed comb. Would you recommend one over the other ? ...... OC or closed comb ?

Back
Top Bottom