P&B Baskerville scent

I've had no problem with lather yet, I pull a small chunk out, stick the chunk to the bottom of a bowl and go to town with a pretty damp warm brush (no water beforehand), lathers up like a cream for me that way, I haven't tried to face lather though
That is the method I always use with P&B soaps, I never mix in the tub but put a small chunk in my lathering bowl and start from there. Always get good results that way and helps to keep the soap in the tub in the same condition it came in. :)

I got mine this morning. I have never had a problem lathering P&B either from the pot or a chunk in the bowl (I have Albion) but I still have not made up my mind about the scent though.

Hi @Sgt Barnes,

If you've a spare few minutes please stop by our site and have a look at my quick guide on how to lather our soap - http://www.phoenixandbeau.uk/pages/to-building-lather.

If you want to see the type of lather I get go straight to 9'35". If you've a little more time I'd recommend watching from around the 2 minute mark.

As an aside, I generally build my lather in my jar and then face lather. As you might expect, my technique is well and truly dialled in and I can build a storm of gooey, silky and voluminous lather in less than 1 minute.

Best regards and happy shaving!

Kerry.

Hi @Sgt Barnes,

If you've a spare few minutes please stop by our site and have a look at my quick guide on how to lather our soap - http://www.phoenixandbeau.uk/pages/to-building-lather.

If you want to see the type of lather I get go straight to 9'35". If you've a little more time I'd recommend watching from around the 2 minute mark.

As an aside, I generally build my lather in my jar and then face lather. As you might expect, my technique is well and truly dialled in and I can build a storm of gooey, silky and voluminous lather in less than 1 minute.

Best regards and happy shaving!

Kerry.

Cheers, Kerry

Blimey! That's a lot of soap and a lot of water, compared to my technique. Is 10g of soap per shave correct? You sell containers of 115g - are you really saying that one gets circa two weeks' use per tub?

I have been using the 'load a dryish (soaked but squeezed) brush on the face of the wet puck and then build lather in a bowl' method, myself. Anyway, thanks again for the link.

@Sgt Barnes I can get a lot of lather without having to push 10g of soap into the bowl. I am a relative newbie but ai live in a hard water area too. I wet the brush warm water and can lather up after spinkling some water on the top of the puck. About 30 seconds of brush twirling on the puck loads up the brush then i build the lather in my scuttle. I am sure that would work in a shaving bowl too. I tried the large dollop method Kerry mentions and it works but I think it is wasteful. The soap also being tallow based, melted like candle wax in a hot scuttle. I am sure Kerry would love it if we went through 115 in two weeks but I use three soaps in rotation.

I use the same method of pushing soap into a bowl but use nothing like 10g and manage to get a great lather, tbh if I used 10g I'd have more lather than I need for 3 passes, at a guess I'd say a 1/3 for what was in the video, the classic "almond size" amount.

I might be doing something wrong but I get thick lather and it works for me so I dunno.

I use the same method of pushing soap into a bowl but use nothing like 10g and manage to get a great lather, tbh if I used 10g I'd have more lather than I need for 3 passes, at a guess I'd say a 1/3 for what was in the video, the classic "almond size" amount.

I might be doing something wrong but I get thick lather and it works for me so I dunno.
There is no right or wrong it's what works for you that matters, it's all good. :)

So now having used this i still think it's very similar to Spitfire,well to me anyway.If this was in P&Bs regular line up,and say i bought it together with Spitfire,I would be a bit miffed.
Having said that it's still a an excellent soap,it'll be getting battered into,so no harm done done.

Cheers, Kerry

Blimey! That's a lot of soap and a lot of water, compared to my technique. Is 10g of soap per shave correct? You sell containers of 115g - are you really saying that one gets circa two weeks' use per tub?

I have been using the 'load a dryish (soaked but squeezed) brush on the face of the wet puck and then build lather in a bowl' method, myself. Anyway, thanks again for the link.
:) the 10g was just what I had stuffed in to the bottom of the bowl on that day and will last, depending on your loading technique, several if not more. I wasn't kidding when I said that our soap likes water; it's definitely a thirsty beast.

Let me know how you get on and, once you've cracked it, a photo (lather shot) would be great to see.

Thanks,

Kerry.

Ok no offense Kerry (I love your Albion soap) but I am really not getting Baskerville at all. The actual soap performence is grear but to me it just seems to smell like damp over smokey bonfire to me and actually makes me feel a bit nauseous.When this wretched "insufficient privileges" is ended I will ask if someone wants to make me an offer for the puck (used once) oops already did but hope in the spirit of generosity.

@phoenixandbeau when is the Balm coming Kerry?

Ok no offense Kerry (I love your Albion soap) but I am really not getting Baskerville at all. The actual soap performence is grear but to me it just seems to smell like damp over smokey bonfire to me and actually makes me feel a bit nauseous.When this wretched "insufficient privileges" is ended I will ask if someone wants to make me an offer for the puck (used once) oops already did but hope in the spirit of generosity.

Now you've put it out there, you never know, someone may PM you and you sort out a private sale of your soap. I would have had it off you but I've already brought one off someone who like you did not like it, so that's two tubs I've got now! Good luck. :)

Sorry you didn't get on with it @matteob and I respect your olfactory sense and that YMMV. Oh, we're making balm this week! Keep your eyes peeled :).

Kindest regards,

Kerry.

@Blademonkey I gave it to my dad in the end he loves the smell. Other stuff will make it's way into the box. I thought it would have a bit more sweetness under the smoke a bit like Wright's Coal Tar but alas no. I am going to make sure to get samples before buying soap in future.

Back
Top Bottom