P&B Baskerville scent

Anyone find it a very similar scent to Spitfire or is it just me,admittedly my olfactory sense isn't the greatest.
Still to lather it up and it may be somewhat different,but that's my initial impression,anyone else or is it just my beak?

Anyone find it a very similar scent to Spitfire or is it just me,admittedly my olfactory sense isn't the greatest.
Still to lather it up and it may be somewhat different,but that's my initial impression,anyone else or is it just my beak?
There does seem to have some similarity but there is more to it, something I can't put my finger on but like you my olfactory sense does let me down somewhat. :)

I was expecting something a bit more well "earthy" i suppose,l'll use it next shave see what pops up,maybe because it was a seasonal soap i was expecting something different,but i genuinely cant tell the difference.

I was expecting something a bit more well "earthy" i suppose,l'll use it next shave see what pops up,maybe because it was a seasonal soap i was expecting something different,but i genuinely cant tell the difference.
See what you get from it in a steamy bathroom when lathered up, and report back if you don't mind. I could smell more of something in those conditions but I'm not all that good in picking out individual scents but over all I found it to be very nice.....I would never make a good wine taster....Mmm very nice!!!:)

See what you get from it in a steamy bathroom when lathered up, and report back if you don't mind. I could smell more of something in those conditions but I'm not all that good in picking out individual scents but over all I found it to be very nice.....I would never make a good wine taster....Mmm very nice!!!:)
Maybe it's the way i read that there lol,probably from working in all male enviroment all my life i suppose.
But aye,no doubt it shall be good,ditto with the wine tasting Paul,on the same hymn sheet here,same with real ales.

I've taken a sniff of the unlathered soap before it was wrapped for the big day. There is a Spitfire smell to it and both are listed as having "leather" scent. The Russian Leather from Wickhams has the same scent.

For me it's Imperial Leather type scent and to be honest I'm not a fan, mainly for me as it's just a 70's bath soap scent. I'm going to steer clear or any soap listing leather as a scent in future. Imperial Leather doesn't smell like leather and either does Wickhams, Spitfire or Baskeville.

Got mine this morning - cheers, P&B.

I have to say that it does not look all that appetising - a sort of greyish-brown. Still, looks aren't everything.

Someone in another thread described the fragrance as 'dirty vanilla' and that is exactly how I would describe it. I'll give a test run tomorrow.

Got mine this morning - cheers, P&B.

I have to say that it does not look all that appetising - a sort of greyish-brown. Still, looks aren't everything.

Someone in another thread described the fragrance as 'dirty vanilla' and that is exactly how I would describe it. I'll give a test run tomorrow.

Dirty vanilla, ala Night Music?

Well, I've tried the Baskerville and I'm less than impressed.

The dirty vanilla fragrance of the unlathered soap changed completely on application of brush and water and gave way to notes of woodsmoke and leather - not overpoweringly so. The soap did not lather particularly well; I had to reload the brush to get enough for a second pass.

Now I am the first to admit that I am no expert when it comes to lathering soaps. Until recently, I used mostly creams but having been under notice of redundancy for the past few months, I have had more time in the mornings and have been using only soap. I've only got two - Saponificio Varesino and Kent (i.e. Mitchell's Wool Fat) - so can only compare with those. It doesn't help that our water is harder than Mike Tyson either.

Once on, the lather provided good razor glide, although it lacked the silky smoothness of Saponificio. I was relieved to find that the lather itself was pure white; I was concerned that it might be the greyish-brown colour of the puck.

The fragrance is problematic. I'm a fussy git when it comes to fragrance and I really don't like smoky/leathery scents. They feel as though they are trying too hard to be masculine. Of course, preferences vary (YMMV, to use that ghastly Americanism:rolleyes:) but Baskerville is not a keeper for me. I'm interested to hear other people's impressions of it.

Hi Sgt, whilst I haven't experienced Baskerville, ( I knew from the description it probably wouldn't be for me ) I'm surprised at it presenting any challenge in the lathering department. All the P & B soaps I've used from the first versions have given really smooth, slick enduring lather for me. Much more creamy than bubbly, if that makes sense. Only suggestion I can make is that these are relatively thirsty soaps, as soaps go, so maybe try pooling a little hot water on top of the puck to sit & soak in whilst you get on with face washing etc. Failing that I'm sorry one of my fave soaps doesn't work for you, but hey, loads more out there for the years to come.

JohnnyO. o/

Hi Sgt, whilst I haven't experienced Baskerville, ( I knew from the description it probably wouldn't be for me ) I'm surprised at it presenting any challenge in the lathering department. All the P & B soaps I've used from the first versions have given really smooth, slick enduring lather for me. Much more creamy than bubbly, if that makes sense. Only suggestion I can make is that these are relatively thirsty soaps, as soaps go, so maybe try pooling a little hot water on top of the puck to sit & soak in whilst you get on with face washing etc. Failing that I'm sorry one of my fave soaps doesn't work for you, but hey, loads more out there for the years to come.

JohnnyO. o/

Yes, I wasn't expecting that, given the comments I've seen from others on P&B soaps. I did indeed pour a little hot water on the soap (as I always do) to soften it whilst in the shower and the brush (mixed boar and badger) seemed to load OK but the volume of lather simply didn't appear. Same technique and time that I use with my other two soaps, as far as I can tell.

As you say, plenty of others to try. I'm quite enjoying getting into this soap lark.:)

Yes, I wasn't expecting that, given the comments I've seen from others on P&B soaps. I did indeed pour a little hot water on the soap (as I always do) to soften it whilst in the shower and the brush (mixed boar and badger) seemed to load OK but the volume of lather simply didn't appear. Same technique and time that I use with my other two soaps, as far as I can tell.

As you say, plenty of others to try. I'm quite enjoying getting into this soap lark.:)

I've had no problem with lather yet, I pull a small chunk out, stick the chunk to the bottom of a bowl and go to town with a pretty damp warm brush (no water beforehand), lathers up like a cream for me that way, I haven't tried to face lather though

Back
Top Bottom