Opinions please - for and against ............

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I wonder if putting a used blade in mineral oil between shaves has any merit? Perhaps the oil could protect the edge from moisture damage? Admittedly much more damage is done by the actual shaving process, but maybe oil could help to keep the edge as good as it can be between each shave?

A lot of blades from the 60s onwards in those metal dispensers had oil in them (and when the oil's decades old it ca be a bu99er to get them out) but maybe this was just to allow metal-on-metal to slide, and not about protecting the edge from moisture?

Obviously if handling them you'd need to use something like tweezers and a towel for safety reasons. At least I would.

I dry blade with bog roll and put back in paper after every shave and put a marker pen dot on to show 1 use.
Tend to stick to one razor but if i swapped I start with new blade.
I never leave blade in razor for safety but I've tried to pick up blade paper 3 weeks ago and it is had blade in which dug in my thumb. Gerr!
That twice I've had blade accident. Still sticking to that system..

Yeah, 3 uses per blade works for me.

Many leave blades in razors but that's asking for trouble with my ageing eyesight and fumbling about with no glasses sometimes.

Interesting. I know nothing and am probably doing it wrong but given that I have no concerns about safety, my philosophy is to do as little as possible to the blade for fear of blunting it. Hence I rinse the razor with the blade in (loose cap or doors) and don't try to dry it. Generally I get 4 uses and don't really hope for any more than that so it just gets binned, I thoroughly clean the razor and move on to a different one just to keep things interesting.

I once tried to strop an AC blade that was about finished anyway just to see what happened. Waste of time. I think the less contact the blade has with anything the better.

Interesting. I know nothing and am probably doing it wrong but given that I have no concerns about safety, my philosophy is to do as little as possible to the blade for fear of blunting it. Hence I rinse the razor with the blade in (loose cap or doors) and don't try to dry it. Generally I get 4 uses and don't really hope for any more than that so it just gets binned, I thoroughly clean the razor and move on to a different one just to keep things interesting.

I once tried to strop an AC blade that was about finished anyway just to see what happened. Waste of time. I think the less contact the blade has with anything the better.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned that quite a few blades have the stern injunction on the packaging "Do not wipe blade" or words to that effect. I guess that the people who make and sell them have good reasons for such instructions, and likely they're not to prevent people cutting their fingers.

When Gillette was the only gun in town, blades were expensive relative to wages. My dad kept a jar of oil in the bathroom for blades. This was the 1950s, and Stainless Steel blades were not yet made. Blades would quickly rust without the oil.
There was a rumour that the blade dropped in the oil would align itself to magnetic north, thereby re-aligning the edge molecules and keep the blade sharp. It worked about the same as putting the blade under a pyramid - it didn't work.

When Gillette was the only gun in town, blades were expensive relative to wages. My dad kept a jar of oil in the bathroom for blades. This was the 1950s, and Stainless Steel blades were not yet made. Blades would quickly rust without the oil.
There was a rumour that the blade dropped in the oil would align itself to magnetic north, thereby re-aligning the edge molecules and keep the blade sharp. It worked about the same as putting the blade under a pyramid - it didn't work.
Are you saying that the pyramid blade sharpener was a scam? Blasphemy!

razor-pyramid.jpg

Back
Top Bottom