Opinion on this Aristocrat model

Just wondering what your opinion on this type of Aristocrat is?
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid%20guard%20bar/1947%20Aristocrat%20light%20brown%20case%20red%20satin%20inlet%20lining.JPG

Not that model specifically but any other similar models. Everyone seems to go for the #16 #21 etc type models and they are reaching massive prices on ebay at the moment where as the earlier gold models are sometimes selling for less than £30 in good condition.
Is there a massive difference in the shave?

Have been watching a few lately but the nice boxed models do fetch a hefty price. I think Executive Shaving jump in with a lot of early bids (just guessing by the initials of the bidders name). Would like to stay loyal to British razors but might have to try one some time after I start thinning my ever growing collection down.

Know a lot of people here in the States think highly of them. I'm not that excited by them. I have a few from different years and they all seem to shave the same. One thing you need to watch is the plating. The gold does not age well.
I've not used the British aristocrat, but I have used the JR. and think that model is an excellent razor and better shaver than the US aristocrat.

Had a few and to be honest have sold most of them. I am also with those who feel these razors are not something extraordinary. Good shavers yes, they are, but nothing that will impress right from the first moment (e.g. like a De Luxe, New Standard, #77, etc.)

However it is nice, if not mandatory for die-hard wet shavers, to own at least one.

Have noticed that most have plating loss, but that is not always a problem. The head looks similar to the rockets, superspeeds etc so I guess they all shave the same with exception of weight, and I do prefer a heavier razor myself.

I must admit that I enjoy being the owner of a fine example that does get used but I find it gives me a more aggressive shave than my other Gillettes so it doesn't get used often.
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom