Open combs...

Hi,

As open combs dont have the bar running the length of the blade, could they be considered a halfway house to straight razor shaving?

Eventualy I want to try a straight, but if there is an easier step first I would like to try it! (Considering getting the Muhle R41)

Cheers, Paul.

Not even close mate. Some open comb razors are "milder" than some bar razors.

Use a butter knife as a dummy run, then imagine it been sharp enough to cut a hanging hair.

The closest to a straight is supposed to be the slant bar. I have an open comb, while I get great shaves with it, I find it quite difficult to cut myself. I have tried on purpose. This does suggest (as fozz77 mentions) that they can be milder than some straight bars.

I don't think any DE/SE that I've used (approx 25 models) would be close to a straight. I would imagine a 'Featherette' is the halfway house. It uses a DE blade in a straight style holder if I remember correctly.

A "Shavette" is probably more than half way towards a straight, very similar physical movements involved, uses DE blades in a straight razor shaped holder, naturally none of the blade maintenance is required.

I would sooner use a straight than a Shavette any day of the week: the idea of taking a DE blade directly to my face does not appeal one little bit. This got batted about at great length recently here:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1749&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1749&start=20</a><!-- l -->

fozz77 said:

Use a butter knife as a dummy run, then imagine it been sharp enough to cut a hanging hair.

Great cheers Fozz, just spent the last 2 hours spreading lather all around my face, head, neck and shoulders with a butter knife.... ;)

antdad said:
A "Shavette" is probably more than half way towards a straight, very similar physical movements involved, uses DE blades in a straight razor shaped holder, naturally none of the blade maintenance is required.

Aye - one of those. I knew it was something like that...

RB73 said:
fozz77 said:

Great cheers Fozz, just spent the last 2 hours spreading lather all around my face, head, neck and shoulders with a butter knife.... ;)

Lurpak? :lol:

A shavette is a bit like learning to ski on a dry slope, if you manage it, it will be a PoP when you finally make it to a real slope with real snow.

Most of the advice I got was got straight to straight. The Shavette is a good middle ground for many people as a way of getting the arm movements and angles sort of right but none of the blade maintenance. I thought about it and decided to buy a good cheap straight and strop from Neil Miller and I still enjoy using it. It is really up to yourself, had a good read through the straight forum section, lots of good advice there.

Back
Top Bottom